HELP! Energy & Exercise!

Sheila C.
on 1/7/13 9:14 am - VA
VSG on 02/21/12

I try to exercise daily, but after 30 minutes I feel like my sugar bottoms out. I typically have a protein shake after I work out, but what do I eat or drink prior to working out. I literally feel shaky and like I am going to pass out. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Sheila     
KatCooper
on 1/7/13 10:05 am - Collierville, TN

Have you checked your sugar to see what it the number actually is?  Are you a diabetic?   What kind of exercising are you doing?  Is it cardio, weights, cycling???   While it can certainly  be your sugar, if you are an excessive sweater (like yours truly) it can also be electrolytes.  I dont eat before I work out if I am working out for an hour or so, but thats just me.  If it longer, oatmeal, a smoothie, toast and peanut butter are options.  For extended workout I use GU gels and other people use chews along with other things.   Best of luck and I am sure other people will chime in.  

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

Phatchick
on 1/7/13 11:16 am - Brookfield, IL
VSG on 04/16/12

Hi Sheila,

It sounds like you may need some protein prior to working out. If I am only working out for an hour I do not eat until after I work out because I hate the feeling in my tummy.

But, if I am working out for more than an hour, I have a small protein shake and then I make sure I am hydrated. If you are not hydrated your electrolytes can also be off kilter.

If this doesnt work, I agree with Kat, you may need to see if you are hypoglycemic or diabetic. Have you had these checked recently.

Good Luck,

Sharon

juleskar
on 1/7/13 1:25 pm

I use Body Effects just prior and during my workout. The only flavor I've tried so far is grape. It's okay. I mix it with water. Then after my workout I drink a protein shake. 

Are you familiar with YouTube's BandedWendy or the ProofWLSWorks channel? I got the Body Effects from Wendy. Her motto is Let It Rain. It refers to sweating during a workout, which I LOATH, but I'm trying to work past my issues and try to see it as a positive, not a negative.

Kim S.
on 1/8/13 12:34 am - Helena, AL

I have the same issue, and mine is a drop in blood sugar.  I eat a few Crunchmaster crackers with hard cheese about 30 mins before I workout.......then no problems.

LJ1972
on 1/8/13 6:14 am - FL

before I work out I have a carb / protein combo -- 1/2 banana in a shake, 1/2 banana and some peanut butter, pretzels and PB, egg and ww toast

COURAGE TO START, STRENGTH TO ENDURE, RESOLVE TO FINISH 
                              HW 353 SW 317 Original GW 180  Current Wt  170 
                               First 5k 59:18; 5k PR 32:06;  1st 10k 1:20:27; PR 1:08:36
                                                    1st Half Marathon 2:48

Pensacola Double Bridge Run 15k- 1:47:34
                                                  Three Sprint Triathlons

(deactivated member)
on 1/10/13 2:55 pm

Hi,

Lovely post. Exercise is a great way to increase your energy level and fight off feelings of fatigue. The benefit of exercise here is it reduces the risk of coronary heart. 

Thanks.
Most Active