Big Scary Dogs.

(deactivated member)
on 12/9/12 11:27 pm

I'll start off by saying that I like dogs, have had many over the years of all different sizes, breeds and temperaments and currently have two of my own but like most people, I am a little wary of unknown animals.

I had an encounter with a big, scary dog today while running. I live in a fairly large neighborhood and usually I just run inside of it but there are lots of big hills that I don't like to repeat too much so if I'm going to be out for over 5 miles or so, I head out of my 'hood onto more rural roads. I was trucking along minding my own business this morning when I spotted a dog at a barn about 100 yards or so away from the road. It was a big dog, a German Shepard, and it had a puppy with it. I thought to myself, hmm I'm gonna turn around, I don't want to run by that dog that is not fenced or on a lead and has no owners in sight. Before I could get myself turned around and going back the direction I came from that dog was maybe 10 yards from me, barking fiercely. I told it to stop and moved as quickly as I could but since I'm slow as a turtle, it was on my heels. It chased me for 3 or 4 minutes when it all of a sudden stopped and headed back. I guess it was more intent on scaring me and chasing me off than hurting me because there is no way that I was outrunning this animal, it could have caught me had it wanted to.

Needless to say, I'm a little shaken up. Has this happened to anybody else? What do you do in a situation like this? When I got home, I called my husband who said I need to carry pepper spray but I don't think that I'd want to get close enough to a dog's face for spray to be effective! At that point, it would probably be too late for me. Any suggestions other than carrying a bag of rocks or staying in my neighborhood?

acbbrown
on 12/9/12 11:44 pm - Granada Hills, CA

I dont think a bag of rocks would do much to a dog that is going to attack - I'd carry the pepper spray - I know they make some specifically for animals. 

Ive been attacked by a dog before (not while exercising though) and so I am very weary of animals , even ones on a leash. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Jillian O.
on 12/10/12 3:37 am - Fort Riley, KS

Like Alison said, a bag of rocks won't do anything to a dog. The only advice I can give is to avoid the situation. In March 2011 I was on my first century ride and was chased by a viscous pit bull who came really close to knocking me off my bike. Needless to say I didn't finish the century, at the next aid station I called my husband hysterically crying telling him what happened and he needed to come get me. Him being dramatic, he brought his pistol with the intent to find and shoot the dog. He was really upset he could have lost me to a dog with bad owners. I was able to talk him out of it.

I have never gotten over it and I still experience flashbacks from that day. I guess I am telling you this story so you know I know how you feel. I avoid all rural and country roads and do all my runs and bike rides on the Army post. 

Jillian
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran, Army Wife, 3x Ironman Finisher

LinR
on 12/11/12 5:36 am

We have coyotes???spelling????  that roam our neighborhood at dawn and dusk.  Those are usually my short runs, so instead of a water bottle, I carry a can of wasp and hornet spray in my hydration belt.  It's supposed to be good up to 20 feet or something like that.  I haven't had to use it, but I feel a little more secure having it.  I also carry a small pill bottle filled with pennies and shake that if I see them up ahead.  So far, they have kept going.  Don't know how it woulld work for dogs.

(deactivated member)
on 12/11/12 7:58 pm

Thanks for all the ideas, I'll probably try a combo of all of them, avoidance, different routes and carrying something with me. However, if I will draw the line at coyotes! If I see any of those, I'm sticking to the dreadmill!! :)

Michele

Sewcrazycaren
on 12/13/12 7:37 pm - MI

I guess I at looking at this from a different direction.............You need to call animal control!  My ex MIL had a dog that bit a man on a bike and then she had the nerve to blame it on the man!   I love German sheperds  a wonderful breed but they are bred for defence and to take note of anything unusual.  The fact that the dog left its property to confront you is what worries me.

Most Active