Lap Band and Weight Training?

AisQuiteOK
on 12/5/12 7:44 pm - LA

I am pre-WLS and thinking about my options here. I generally never cared for cardio routines. I get very bored and I loose interest quickly. Instead what has helped me in the past was circuit weight training. I would very much like to develop my muscles for both health and to combat rapid weight loss. Is this a good idea with a lap band? I can't see why not if given time to heal after surgery. I'm thinking of the scenarios I can't think of here.

Kim S.
on 12/5/12 11:31 pm - Helena, AL

Why lap band?  I am not a surgery basher, but I have seen the statistics, and 100% of the 4 people I personally know with them never reached goal weight, AND they had complications.  There is a better alternative if you only need restriction, and that is VSG.  (I am going to copy parts of a response I just typed to someone new to this board....)

There are some folks on OH that have been very successful with the lap band.  However, the long term studies/stats are not promising for the surgery overall.  And, as I stated earlier, I personally know 4 people with them....ranging in age from 21 to 65.....none reached goal, all have food issues and all have had some complications.

My recommendation, if you haven't already done so, is to research all 4 main weight loss surgeries:  VSG (vertical sleeve gastrectomy), RNY (gastric bypass), Lap Band (I would recommend this to NO ONE), and DS (duodenal switch).

Lap band and VSG are restrictive only, and RNY and DS are restrictive and mal absorptive. 

Review the pros and cons of each, the lifetime changes/follow up required for each and then determine which will best fit your needs for life.

Regardless of which surgery you choose, an important part of lifestyle change required for long term weight management is regular exercise, so I'm glad to see you are addressing this now.  I began working out 6 months before my surgery....and I was a couch potato.....everyone can find something physical to do....you just need to try things and find what you like.

Overall you want a good cardio and strength training program.  Circuit training is good, and you should incorporate something cardio focused a few times a week as well like speed walking or running.  Bottom line, do things you enjoy and you'll keep doing them.

Please let us know if we can help in any way-best wishes on your journey!

AisQuiteOK
on 12/5/12 11:54 pm - LA

Thanks for the reply. I am the type that just needs the push.. then to see some results. I've tried on my own several times to lose and did well for a couple months then went back to old habits... and that was just me with my own eating and exercise plan. This time I'm doing it with support and doctor assisted exercise. I feel the lap band would give me the push and the sort of accountability I need. I haven't made up my mind 100% and may not need WLS. I have three months, my BMI is 42 if I work on my own and lower it past 40 in those three months I will say no.The sleeve just sounds so extreme. I know I need to do more research but I'm scared of the procedure itself.

ruggie
on 12/9/12 9:50 am - Sacramento, CA

I hope you will be encouraged to do more research - the sleeve really isn't so extreme... I think of it as "removal of extra tissue".  I live a pretty damn normal life with my sleeve.

The band has the highest complication rate and lowest success rate of any surgery.  Moreover, the band is not a "lifetime product".  That means it is not rated to last in you until death.  Most band patients end up having three surgeries:  one to install it, one to remove it (gets infected, leaks, erodes into your stomach or liver), and a third to convert to VSG or RnY.  I'd suggest stacking the cards in your favor.  Some insurances are refusing to cover the band now due to the high-complication / low-success rate.

Don't be scared of the procedure - there's a lot of successful people around here.  Remember that the amount of obese people that lose weight with only diet and exercise and keep it off for more than two years is less than 5%.

Good luck on whatever you choose though!

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

Jackie T.
on 12/10/12 11:06 pm - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

I was originally looking at the lapband but after doing research I have chosen the sleeve.  I am having surgery 12/19.  You have to do what is right for you but if you go the band route, you will have to keep going to the doctor for years to have the band adjusted with fills.  These may or may not be covered by insurance. I was also told it can take up to 6 months to get it adjusted correctly for you.  There is a chance of slippage and also detioriation and then you will have to have it removed and your stomach will probably go back to the size it was before.

My PCP told me about a patient who had a hard lump on their side and they had a ct scan.  Come to find out, she had lost a lot of weight and you could feel the port for the fills.  I decided I did not want that foreign body in me.

There has been alot more success with the sleeve.  Don't get me wrong, there are definitely success stories and horror stories with both surgeries but it will not be that invasive. 

Good Luck in your decision and make sure you check out the boards for all of the surgeries!

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

sfnativewm
on 12/6/12 12:33 am

Hi there!   Once you get the band, the dr. will tell you when your lift restrictions are over.    LOL I could not lift bales of hay for 3 glorious months!!!   But back to doing it all the time without issues.   

Good luck to you!

~Ann~
Band removed and feeling alive with energy!

AisQuiteOK
on 12/7/12 8:50 pm - LA

Thanks for the reply... didn't expect it to be that long but that would make sense. :-)  

Most Active