Half-Marathon Questions

(deactivated member)
on 11/6/12 9:13 pm, edited 11/6/12 9:15 pm

I know the answer to the most important question of "Should I do it?" Survey says... YES! I've never run any race, much less an distance like a half-marathon but I've got a base of about 25 miles a week and feel like a half-marathon will be an obtainable goal- enough to keep me working and training but not so daunting that I'll say eff it and quit. I'm a classic over-thinker though so would like some advice from folks who have been there, done that.

My question now is what should I look for in a first race, besides cool schwag, of course :)? There are several in the spring that I'm looking at that are within my training timing window. One is a large race http://www.shamrockmarathon.com/anthem-half-marathon.htm (capped at 10,000) which would be a bit of a drive for me, but it looks like a fun event and my family could make a weekend of it. I'm worried about such a large race though, it is going to be too much, especially since it's reported to be a fast course. It has a 4 hour completion cut off.  Alternatively, I'm looking at another race closer to home, http://tobaccoroadmarathon.com/home about 30 minute away from me with a field of about 2,500. It's also flat and fast though (which I'm not). I can't find a cut off time but  see that in the 2012 race there were people finishing with times that were flirting with 5 hours.

My longest run to date has been 8 miles at a 11:00 min/mile pace. I would guess that I'd slow down a little with the extended miles but surely not enough to be forced off the course, right?

So - I guess in short, my question is big race or mid sized race? Also, any thoughts about racing out of town versus close to home? My only cheerleaders for either race would be my family.

Thanks for reading, sorry so rambly!

Kim S.
on 11/6/12 10:38 pm - Helena, AL

I've not yet done a 1/2.  It is my next milestone to conquer. 

My thoughts.  Register.  Train.  IF you run out of time, get off the course and call it a day.  Then, pat yourself on the back for the great effort!  If you go into it as accomplishing a personal goal, and not worrying about times, blah, blah, blah.....you will have fun and you'll be proud that you did it-however much you do.

I'll bet my money on the fact you'll finish!!

(deactivated member)
on 11/7/12 10:33 pm

Pretty good advice! Thanks Kim. :)

Michele

acbbrown
on 11/7/12 12:39 am - Granada Hills, CA

With a 4 hour time limit, you can walk that. It comes out to an avg 18.30 pace. I wouldnt worry about that.

I just did my first 1/2 - I liked the larger crowd. There were people of all shapes, sizes and fitness levels. It made me feel a little more comfortable before the race. The energy was good.

I made a little weekend vacation out of my race weekend  (it was about 70 mile from home)- got a hotel, enjoyed the expo, hung out with friends. It was a nice way to celebrate the experience.

If you can - read reviews from past races. That will give you an idea of what the organization is like, issues to pay attention to. One thing I will consider is water/aid stations - whether there are enough of them, what they offer, and whether they run out of water during past events. I unfortunately did a 10K this summe in 90 degree weather and the water was gone by the first aid station.

Congrats on setting a goal - its a great feeling to accompli****

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

(deactivated member)
on 11/7/12 10:35 pm

Thanks for the tip about reading reviews - I hadn't even thought about doing that. I used the Google magic and found some forum posts and blogs and it looks like the race I want to do (the big, out of town one) is well run and pretty well regarded.

Thanks again!

Michele

Scott William
on 11/7/12 9:25 am

I'd do the bigger one and make a weekend of it.  The energy of the race will actually pull you along a bit.  Work your long run to 11-12 miles (with that base it shouldn't be too hard) and you will have no problem at all!  Time will not be a factor.  I would guess your time to be better than 2:30 without increasing your intensity much at all.  I'm excited for you!

Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
(deactivated member)
on 11/7/12 10:40 pm

Thanks Scott! I was leaning toward the big, out of town (AT THE BEACH) one but didn't want to drag the family around and spend a ton of $$ it it was going to be too much for a complete running noob. The event has a "Final Mile" where kids can log 25.2 miles in the weeks before the race at home/school and then complete the final mile of the marathon course and get some finisher's swag. I think I'm going to sign my boys up for that and twist my husband's arm into signing up for the 8K race. That way we're all running at some point over the weekend.

Thanks again for the pointers!

Michele

jwc10s
on 11/8/12 2:04 am

The size of the race probably doesn't matter much for you as a runner. Meaning that you will be out there going your 11 min pace regardless of it being 100 people or 10,000 people. It's your first race whatever size so enjoy the event and the accomplishment. As for getting booted off the course. If you are running 8 miles at an 11 min per mile pace and the race isn't until spring, you should be able to easily do the full 13.1 at the same 11 min pace (if you continue to train). 

As for your cheering section only being your family, well that won't be the case especially if you go to a big event. People line the roads and cheer for all those willing to take on the challenge. I have done a number of events by myself, and I never felt alone on the course or during the race.

Look for a race that you think you will enjoy, area, scenery, shopping afterwards, fun activities for the family. 

As you said it's all about the bling/schwag.

Enjoy!!!

Jay

First 5K 5/21/2011 00:48:24

First 13 mile run 02:31:39 10/30/2011

5K Race PR 24:38 5/2013
First TRIATHLON 1:48:37 5/7/2012
Augusta Ironman 70.3 6:54:67
Half Marathon PR 1:55:39 6/8/2013 Bootlegger Half Marathon

(deactivated member)
on 11/9/12 3:45 am

Thanks for the advice, Jay! I signed up today for the big event at the beach. It's something for me to look forward to and hopefully will be fun for my whole family.

Michele

astrazza
on 11/9/12 8:40 am - Alpharetta, GA

I also signed up for my first half marathon in the spring and I have one concern,  blood sugar dropping. Since my WLS in Jan. I am now hypoglycemic so what should I do so my blood sugar does not all of a sudden drop when I am running. Anything to take before hand that will keep me going the full 13 miles? 

Alissa

Most Active