Exercising in the cold/time change/arthritis

Kim S.
on 11/1/12 11:47 pm - Helena, AL

I just need to vent to peeps that will understand.

Most of y'all that know me (via my posts) know that I truly do love to exercise.  But, there is one sticking point with me.  I hate the time change, and having to run in the dark/cold.  My last "nice" outdoor workout will be tomorrow.  I'm going hiking and the weather will be beautiful and the Fall foliage awesome.  Also, the cold weather REALLY aggravates my arthritis, so I'm struggling with knee pain every day (interestingly, exercise does make it feel better!). Last night I really had to force myself off the couch to go run at 7:30 (I waited for DH to get home so he could go too). BUT, I did it!  and yes, I felt much better afterward.

I really have to push myself to keep up my fitness level in the cold months.  Many of my workouts will be in the basement.........which is also cold!  I am actually joining a gym in January so I will be able to use boxing/boot camp as my main exercise in the Winter. My plastic surgery (lower body lift and breast lift) is next Friday, so I wont be able to workout for at least 4 weeks....so I'm really trying to savor these last few before the big day.

Thank you for listening.

nfarris79
on 11/3/12 1:15 am, edited 11/3/12 1:16 am - Germantown, MD

Vent away and I will be sending you positive,healing thoughts for your surgery!!!! (oh, and a thought just occurred to me:  I'm going to be down in Pelham for Christmas and will be bringing my workout gear as I'll be training for my 2nd Half-Marathon in March -yep, I got the running bug - so anyhoo, would you want to meet up and go running? That is, if you're healed up by then. I think the park near my in-laws is Heardmount Park? I'd been there before and they have great trails. PM me if you think you'd be up for a running buddy around Xmas).

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

LJ1972
on 11/3/12 2:03 am - FL

aww.... that's 3 1/2 hours from me....! so close and yet so far

COURAGE TO START, STRENGTH TO ENDURE, RESOLVE TO FINISH 
                              HW 353 SW 317 Original GW 180  Current Wt  170 
                               First 5k 59:18; 5k PR 32:06;  1st 10k 1:20:27; PR 1:08:36
                                                    1st Half Marathon 2:48

Pensacola Double Bridge Run 15k- 1:47:34
                                                  Three Sprint Triathlons

LJ1972
on 11/3/12 2:04 am - FL

This will be my first winter exercising for real. Last year I just did my 1x a week with the trainer and some random gym workouts. I know... my idea of cold is different than that of you guys north of me, but cold is cold! lol

Interested to see how it goes - I remember as a kid running in PE and my nose running like crazy and my throat burning

COURAGE TO START, STRENGTH TO ENDURE, RESOLVE TO FINISH 
                              HW 353 SW 317 Original GW 180  Current Wt  170 
                               First 5k 59:18; 5k PR 32:06;  1st 10k 1:20:27; PR 1:08:36
                                                    1st Half Marathon 2:48

Pensacola Double Bridge Run 15k- 1:47:34
                                                  Three Sprint Triathlons

velma001
on 11/5/12 5:09 pm - Tustin, CA

Hi,

I know how hard it can get during winters. But, if you want to be fit then you must try hard for it. You need to do continuous exercise for reducing your arthritis pain. My grandmother also suffers from arthritis, and i know how bad it can become. So you must continue with your daily exercise.

Phatchick
on 11/11/12 10:22 pm - Brookfield, IL
VSG on 04/16/12
Hi Kim,

I have very bad knees from an injury and arthritis. I was getting cortisone shots in my knees until I found out how bad they are for our bodies. I looked for a natural cure and discovered a chiropractor. I always thought these types of providers only fixed back pain but I was wrong. I go to a chiropractor who advocates a well-being lifestyle whi*****ludes exercise. After the evaluation I was given exercises to do daily to strengthen my muscles around my knees. I also get a procedure done called grastin every other day. It is a muscle stripping technique. It involves the chiropractor to basically deep tissue massage the front and back of my knees. I have been doing this now for 10 weeks and I am 75% better. I no longer am a weather vane which can predict rain with oncoming knee pain. I highly recommend this for anyone with knee pain.

Best,

Sharon

Most Active