What is the best ab workout to start out with?

AdeanaMarie
on 10/30/12 4:16 am - MI
VSG on 03/08/12

What is the best ab workout to start out with?  I have been walking and doing water fitness, but my abs need some real attention, well, to be specific, my lower abs.  Any thoughts?  What types of exercises are best and that you like or possibly enjoy?  But also see the best results?  Thanks!

“Not many of us are living at our best.  We linger in the lowlands because we are afraid to climb the mountains.  The steepness and ruggedness dismay us, and so we stay in the misty valleys and do not learn the mystery of the hills.  We do not know what we lose in our self indulgence.  What glory awaits us if only we had the courage for the mountain climb.  What blessing we should find if only we would move to the uplands of God.?  JRM

sheryf
on 10/30/12 5:01 am

I have been doing Zumba for over three years.  My Zumba instructor hIas routines where we do alot of standing knee to chest routines.  Crunches without being on the ground.  That is helping my abs quite a bit.  I am still not happy with them,but little by little they are getting to the point i can count them.  Don't plan on a six pac but am enjoying working on seeing them  :)  Goodluck with your journey!

AdeanaMarie
on 10/30/12 10:11 pm - MI
VSG on 03/08/12

I have been looking for a water Zumba class, but perhaps I should try one on land too.  Thanks for the suggestion!

“Not many of us are living at our best.  We linger in the lowlands because we are afraid to climb the mountains.  The steepness and ruggedness dismay us, and so we stay in the misty valleys and do not learn the mystery of the hills.  We do not know what we lose in our self indulgence.  What glory awaits us if only we had the courage for the mountain climb.  What blessing we should find if only we would move to the uplands of God.?  JRM

Kim S.
on 11/5/12 1:31 am - Helena, AL

I've tried a lot of ab workouts, but my all-time favorite is good ole basics. 

The ab workout in the Power90 workout is still one of my faves....I do the ab 200 routine a couple times a week.  I like the P90X ab workouts okay, but some of the moves are complicated for the sake of being complicated, and the same can be accomplished from good, old fashioned exercises...with excellent form of course!

AdeanaMarie
on 11/5/12 1:47 am - MI
VSG on 03/08/12

I am pretty sure any of them will work, if I just do them and focus on form.  Thanks for the suggestions.  Loving the weight loss, but hating the spare tire around my mid section.  Hoping, with exercise and time, that too will be a thing of the past.  Hating how it hangs over my smaller pant sizes.  Part of it is the whole low rise style and the other part is just the excess skin and fat still there.  This too is a blessing in a weird way.  Reminds me of where I have been and helps me have hope for something better.   Enjoy your day!

Kim S.
on 11/5/12 2:02 am - Helena, AL

Not to discourage you, but I've got a "6 pack" I'm sure under this skin/remaining fat, but I still have "muffin top" on my pants.....that is why I'm having the lower body lift this Friday.  I've worked out hard for 4 years now, and I've improved all I can improve with diet and exercise....now I need a scalpel intervention to finish the job!

I do love having a strong core though.  It really is the root of all other fitness....if the core isn't strong, nothing else will be.

AdeanaMarie
on 11/5/12 4:41 am - MI
VSG on 03/08/12

I hope your surgery goes well.  I know eventually, I might end up doing surgery too, just do not want to think about it right now.  :O)  I trust you will heal quickly with no complications.  Don't do too much too fast.

goldenhair
on 11/29/12 1:12 pm

Start with the basic which is the "ab crunches (sit ups)" then as you progress, you can add some variation like ab crunches on a stability ball or sit ups with medicine ball as added weight. But the best I consider more effective is the bicycle crunch, wherein the whole rectus abdominis muscle are working, even your obliques and lower abs are playing their part. 

AdeanaMarie
on 11/29/12 9:24 pm - MI
VSG on 03/08/12

Thanks!  I just need to start doing something and see some quick results so I keep doing it.  :O)

Most Active