jump from 70.3 to 140.6

Seht
on 10/25/12 4:51 am
So how was the transition from 70.3 to 140.6?
I'd like to do a full, but I have a lot of doubts bout my ability to do it.  Registration is coming up in a few days and I have to make my decision.  The 70.3 sold out within a couple hours last year the full had openings almost right up to the start date.

What type of time commitment was needed to do the 140.6?
I'm assuming it was more than twice as hard, I know that is true for the jump from 1/2 to full marathon.

The full would complete my bucket list of things to do as far as fitness challenges goes, but the half would give me the chance to better my first effort.

Ah crap I don't know.   Just looking for some input from others about the differences and how hard it was, how much time was requried etc.

Thanks,

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Jillian O.
on 10/26/12 9:25 am - Fort Riley, KS

My experience is limited since I have only completed 1 ironman. This is my personal experience and my training is fairly different from other training. Train for the ironman at the start of the 20 week to the race I was putting in 10/week, built up to peak week where I trained for 17 hours a week and then went into taper mode the next week. Most others put in more hours but I was just unable to because of my life commitments. 

The training was tough, I will be honest. Always training on tired legs, 2-a days everyday. The toughest aspect I think is staying mentally motivated to keep putting in the time, and of course the effort in the sessions. 

For me personally, a full is dramatically different than a half. I can race a half, I survive an ironman. That is the difference for me, but other may feel like they survive both races. 

Here's what I think you should do: GO FOR IT!!!! I think this huge goal is just what you need to get that fire back in your belly!

Jillian
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran, Army Wife, 3x Ironman Finisher

jwc10s
on 10/28/12 11:15 pm

Scott,

My personal opinion and take this from where it comes. I have only done one 70.3, and I am about to do my first full marathon. If you can ride 112 miles, if you can run 26.2 miles, and if you can swim 2.4 miles then you can "complete" a full ironman. What Jillian does is compete and that is a whole different ball game. Do you need to train differently absolutely, I have a good friend that races and has podiumed in a couple of different 70.3 events, and she is in training for her first 140.6, and she has increased her training considerably.

Once I got out of the water finishing the 70.3 was not difficult. (swimming is my weakest event). Did I have some pain yes, but I think that was self inflicted after standing back and looking at the day. 

There are training plans out there for "completing" the 140.6 distance vs. competing at the distance, I would suggest buying or at least looking at one of them. I have the book, "Be iron Fit". The number of hours from completing vs competing is considerably different, and the required workouts although similar have differences as well. I believe the time commitment to train for a 140.6 is absolutely doable. 

Like Jillian, I think you should DO IT!!!

Jay

First 5K 5/21/2011 00:48:24

First 13 mile run 02:31:39 10/30/2011

5K Race PR 24:38 5/2013
First TRIATHLON 1:48:37 5/7/2012
Augusta Ironman 70.3 6:54:67
Half Marathon PR 1:55:39 6/8/2013 Bootlegger Half Marathon

Seht
on 10/29/12 3:09 am

Thanks for the suggestions and support.

I know I can grind out a 70.3, but the full distance just has me worried, especially the swim.  It's my weakest event and it sets the tone for the whole day.

Guess I'll just have to put in a lot more swim training.

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Most Active