Eating before early AM workouts?

John V.
on 11/1/12 1:37 am - MN

Chiming in a bit late here... but I also run into trouble if I eat/drink something before working out (running) in the morning, so most of the time I just head out empty.  The only exception to this is that I will take in a gel before a race (i.e. 10-mile or 1/2 marathon) to fuel me for longer distances.  Sometimes I have problems doing that sometimes I don't.  I ran a 1/2 last Saturday and had a Hammer Gel about 20 minutes before I started and had some discomfort between miles 2-4.  I've fueled the same way in past races and have had zero issues.  Frustrating that it feels random sometimes... have found that gels (mainly hammer brand, trouble with others) work best for me since they're not solid.  

Now on a bike... I can eat just about anything without trouble.

Probably will just need to experiment a lot and see what your body likes best. :)

HW:  280  /  SW: 250  /  GW#1: 175  /  GW#2: 160  /  GW#3: 150 / CW: 147.8    
 Includes 30 lbs lost pre-surgery.    
LJ1972
on 11/1/12 12:40 pm - FL

I guess I am the weirdo... again lol

If I don't have something in me when I workout I get dizzy and weak very quickly. Usually I'll have whole wheat toast with peanut butter,  1/2 banana in a protein shake or something like that.  My trainer highly recommends eating something light with carbs and protein about 45 minutes from beginning workouts.

COURAGE TO START, STRENGTH TO ENDURE, RESOLVE TO FINISH 
                              HW 353 SW 317 Original GW 180  Current Wt  170 
                               First 5k 59:18; 5k PR 32:06;  1st 10k 1:20:27; PR 1:08:36
                                                    1st Half Marathon 2:48

Pensacola Double Bridge Run 15k- 1:47:34
                                                  Three Sprint Triathlons

Don J.
on 11/2/12 5:21 pm - Garner, IA
Nancy Clark's "Food Guide for Marathoners"
"The Gastric Bypass Marathoner About 6% of people who have had gastric bypass surgery become endurance athletes. They may start walking as a part of their weight reduction program, and then end up setting a goal to complete a marathon. Exercise takes on a bigger purpose and becomes more than just "burning off calories." Because people who have had bypass surgery have very small stomachs, they cannot eat much food nor can they drink large volumes of fluid. They often get into trouble with dehydration and low blood sugar during long walks or runs. They commonly experience intestinal distress if they digest sugary foods such as gels, sports drinks, and gummy candy. If you have had bypass surgery, you need to experiment with fueling your body for long distances. Redefine food as fuel (not as fattening) and mechanically eat and drink small amounts, such as one jellybean every 10 minutes. Learn your sweat rate and continually take small sips of water, trying to match what you lose, if at all possible."

HW 349/CW 197 

5K - Race with the Stars - 29:46 (11/03/12) . 13.1 - Spirit of Survival-Lawton, OK  - 2:30:16 (10/7/12) . Route 66 Tulsa Marathon. 6:19:15 (11/18/12)

velma001
on 11/2/12 8:05 pm - Tustin, CA

Hi,

I am a regular morning walker. I don't eat anything before going out for my walks. I don't think one should have anything before going for morning walk.

(deactivated member)
on 1/2/13 8:35 pm, edited 1/6/13 9:50 pm - California, CA

It will be better to take some fresh fruits juices, protein shakes or eat apple etc before the morning workouts to get the energy for this workout. 

I eat apple and yogurt and drink orange juice before starting my morning workouts.

Health Maitland

Most Active