workout routine for a beginner help

sterror83
on 9/26/12 3:32 am - NY
 ok im 5 months post op and down 130 lbs since surg and 200 lbs all together (currently at 320)
my only health issues atm is severe gout

my first day at the gym I tried the elliptical bc i read its easier on your joints for heavier people.  I on it maybe 5 minutes and felt like i was gonna black out so sat down and relaxed and went home defeated.  had no pain that night but woke up with severe pain in my quads which made it difficult to walk.

a week later tried again and decided to start smaller walking 30 min on the treadmill i slowly increased each week now two months later my weekly routine 

normally Mon - Fri
15 minutes on level treadmill
30 minutes on incline\
15 minutes going back to a level surface

Sat is my rest day * I work morning and gym is closed when i get home

Sun I hike at a local park which is 5 miles and job 1/3 of it where its flat and level

i break a sweat with this routine but never had pain like i did the first day so i figured i built up the strength in my legs and tried the elliptical this past monday and literally within 5 mins the same thing happened

So just looking for advice I walk at the max speed i can on the treadmill...i cant jog on a treadmill I fall....and have many times and really don't wanna try that anymore i just cant keep my balance

should i just extend my treadmill routine or anyone have similiar experiences and can offer some advice?  my dr does not want me lifting at all, but would light leg lifting effect me that much? as i have been carrying all this weight around for the past 15 yrs.

im new to the whole exercise thing so anyone's suggestions on different exercises or routines that would help or offer a variety would be appreciated
Paul Carrick
on 9/26/12 7:11 am - Eastsound, WA
VSG on 08/27/12
I'll share my experience, for what it's worth, althought I'm much more of a beginner than you. I'm only one month post-op. I'm sure there are people here who can give you better advice.

I have a different issue Sciatca. I use an upright stationary cycle (It's easier on my back). Then I switch to a treadmill @ 3 mph. My normal workout is 20 min on the cycle and then 20 on the treadmill. I used to do this 4 times a week but since the doctor's cleared me for swimming. I alternate every other workout with swimming (a session of 30 min of freestyle and 10 min of breaststroke).

If you can swim, have or can get access to a pool, and don't mind the water. I highly recommend swimming. According to tthe charts it's as much of a workout but I don't feel hot and wornout after.

I was training m,t,w,f but I'm also moving to 5 days a week. My fitness advisor wants 200 min of cardio for me a week.

Well, that my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Good luck.

Paul...

HW: 360 SW: 342 GW: 175 CW:  Click to find out  
  "Life is what happens while you're making other plans." - John Lennon

Kim S.
on 9/27/12 12:32 am - Helena, AL
I disagree that the elliptical is "easier" on the joints.....I own one, and just sold it because I really never liked it and It always hurt my knees.

I progressed from NEVER MOVING A MUSCLE to a very physically fit person-and that is with arthritis in both knees.  You are doing the right thing-finding exercises you can do comfortably and still get a workout.

The key to becoming a regular exerciser (or an exercise freak as my family calls me) is to find activities that you like and to do them regularly.  When they become too easy, you up the ante.

You said the doctor told you no weights...but what about resistance training?  Ask if you can use resistance bands to build muscles.  There are tons of sites on the Internet where you can see exercises demonstrated.  A great at home work out for beginners is Power 90 by Beachbody.com.

I am very proud that you've made exercise an important part of your journey.

BWB
on 11/30/12 11:40 am

I've had sciatica and I got rid of it with water exercise.  It took several months because I had it really bad.  After several years I added the gym exercises and have made more progress.  The elliptical is really hard for me.  I started with a minute or so and just felt tortured.  Since RNy I have a warm-up routine starting with the recumbent bike for 15 min. and as high a level that I can manage then I go to the treadmill and, for 20 min, I walk fast.  I can't jog yet but I've only started doing it for a month or so.  The rest of the hour I do 125 ab crunches, 100 leg presses, back and hip / butt exercises with a variety of other pieces of equipment.  It would benefit you to hire a trainer for a few weeks and get off to a good start.  Understand the proper way to use the equipment and learn what is does for you.  

Most Active