Weight Lifting right after surgery

(deactivated member)
on 9/24/12 5:21 am

I'm 1 week post op from a revision to a RNY and feel wonderful and today just lifting light 5lb dumbells with arms and a few squats. My question is it to soon to start doing that? I fear because my surgeons note said 4--6 weeks no heavy lifting but I feel great and in no pain; and I want to start light ab work  and jogging as well. Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

acbbrown
on 9/24/12 11:12 am - Granada Hills, CA
 Listen to your doctor. He/she has been doing this hopefully for a long time. Laproscopic surgeries can be a little misleading - the incisions are small but the trauma to your body and potential for complications are high.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Kim S.
on 9/26/12 2:04 am - Helena, AL

Yes, it is too soon if your doctor didn't give you clearance.

I applaud your excitement, but you really should follow the doctor's advice.

Scott William
on 9/27/12 11:38 am
I too say, don't do it. I have always been a weight lifter and had the same urge after surgery. I started light at 6 weeks and and still didn't really feel ready. After 8 weeks I started and still ended up with an incisional hernia.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Earl C.
on 9/27/12 12:27 pm - Circleville, OH
Hey Scott,

Long time no hear.

I don't agree complete with incisional hernia. My 2 incisional hernias didn't pop up (ha ha****il almost 2-3 years after surgery. At one point I was doing twisted situps on a declined board with a 45 pound plate on my chest and no issues at all. Personally, I think crunches will make a hernia pop out faster than anything.

That being said...a few light dumbbell  curls or lateral raises are not going to hurt anyone after surgery. Squats and bent over rows are a serious no no though. I think that's what the surgeons are talking about. Definitely no ab work.

I also think walking is the best thing you can do after surgery. Several times a day if you have the time.

Earl
(deactivated member)
on 9/29/12 6:02 am
Thanks everyone for the input! I am sticking to 5- 10lbs or less and not over exerting myself and i feel no pain; but would i know if i develop a hernia or not? what does it feel like if I do get one. Also why no squats? I have been doing squats and lunges and haven't felt any internal pressure or pain near the incisions.
Earl C.
on 9/30/12 1:51 pm - Circleville, OH
My idea of squatting before surgery was to put 500 – 900 pounds on my back and squat. After surgery I started with an empty bar and never really got my strength back after that, probably just because I’m old.  Squatting like I did puts a great pressure on your core. You’ll know you get a hernia because your insides will be trying to be on your outside. It’s a serious pain, for me anyway. I had them fixed supposedly with mesh, but they must had missed the spot because they still pop out at the strangest times, like playing tug with my dog or coughing while I’m sitting down. My surgeon said unless they're stopping you from doing something, people just generally just learn to live with it. That's where I'm at now. I had to change my workouts a little. No deadlifts or direct ab work, but I can squat...just not as heavy.
Most Active