Pulled muscle -advice needed

acbbrown
on 9/22/12 12:57 pm - Granada Hills, CA
 About  2 weeks ago - I did a 7 mile run and it was painful. I pushed through it but since then, my hip flexor has been bothering me. I've been stretching, icing, heat, ibuprofen. I took a week off completely. I ran 5 miles Thursday - didn't feel it much during the run but after, it really hurt. Now, it still hurts but only if I try walking uphill/stairs or  doing any hip flexor exercises. 

I would have liked to do a 7-8 mile run tomorrow - should I just try and see - take more time off or walk 7-8 miles just to cover the distance? I have a 15k race next weekend and my 1/2 is in about 36 days. I need to finish the 1/2 and I'd like to keep training but I don't want hurt myself and have to limp the whole 1/2 :-p

Any magic solutions for pulled muscles?

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

theshrinkingmimi
on 9/22/12 5:07 pm
If you are feeling better, I say run. BUT (note the all caps!), you can't ignore pain at mile 5 and limp to mile 8.  Do a lengthy warm up and gentle stretch session before hand.  Take anti-inflammatory before hand.  But you still have to be willing to stop or walk if the pain comes back.  Even walking has to be halted if the pain worsens.   If you can't trust yourself to stop if necessary or you know that you are going to have a "finish or die" mentality, then I say don't do it at all.

I'm not a doctor, and I don't play one on tv.
Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
acbbrown
on 9/22/12 5:37 pm - Granada Hills, CA
 The problem is there isn't a whole lot of pain per se while running. I can feel it - it's tight and sore but not pain. It doesn't hurt until I'm done and try to stretch. I don't know - I guess I just don't feel like I'm cut out to be a runner or an athlete these days. 

~~~~Alison~~~~~

theshrinkingmimi
on 9/23/12 5:02 am
Maybe you can redefine what being an athlete is. Maybe there is something else you can get addicted to that would be just as challenging.  Have you tried some form of martial arts?  -not aerobics class, but real martial arts. You like to challenge yourself with a skill. 

Also, does the distance matter?  Are you able to do 5Ks without  knee problems? 

I hope you can find an expert to consult with.  -someone who treats long distance runners. You are an athlete, but you have to listen to your body. I don't want you to have a major set back.
Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
Jenny C.
on 9/23/12 10:16 am
No magic solutions, but I do recommend seeing a sports med doc.  I've been having hamstring troubles--pulled on a bike ride about 5 weeks ago & it wouldn't heal up.  Sports med doc advised extension with resistance exercises & that's doing the trick for my issue.  Fortunately, he told me I don't have to stop riding while it heals.  I think what I want to say is...if you need to stop to heal, it's nice to KNOW that, and a good doc can give you that advice.

acbbrown
on 9/23/12 11:14 am - Granada Hills, CA
 I wonder if kaiser even has any kInd of sports med drs... I'll look into it

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Jenny C.
on 9/23/12 2:36 pm
 I would bet good money that they have sports docs...hope so!  I read your post above about maybe not being cut out to be an athlete...banish the thought!  You sure seem like an athlete to me.  Maybe shorter distances or technique coaching could help.  Don't give up, though.  For me, the chance to be an athlete again is the greatest gift I've gotten from VSG.  Hang tough!  You can do it.

(deactivated member)
on 9/25/12 4:18 am - GA
I have been out of it for awhile due to a pulled muscle that turned into the worst muscle spasm in back.   A couple of things helped me get past this injury.  I went for massage therapy a few times and they targeted the area, also found some stretches on line from this site cyberpt.com  There is some stretching videos to target area that you need. I have been doing that and started swimming.  I am so tired now my muscles cannot spasm.  LOL  its better now.
(deactivated member)
on 9/27/12 2:41 am - WA
I know this is too late to help you out but for the next time try moist heat, it works great for me if I pull a muscle. (not exersizing though). Doctor told me to do that and it worked. I moisten a wash cloth or a hand towel and microwave it.
Most Active