Another Race Report - Kind of

LJ1972
on 9/16/12 5:57 pm - FL
 Since June I have been training with a Triathlon organization called Tri Gulf Coast.  Their training group is called Mere Mortals and is for extreme beginners like me to the club member who has done a few Iron Man races. The goal Tri is put on by a local group and is held on Oct 6, so we train that course and distance.
  Today was the "Members Only Triathlon" - basically a full course, full "dress rehearsal" of the Santa Rosa Island Triathlon.  600yd Gulf Swim, 12.5 mile bike (shortened from 18 because Isaac washed out the road) and a 5k run.  There are about 130 members who train, and our Board also invited a Tri training group from Alabama.
 There was registration, bibs, body marking, transition areas, mount/dismount/finish lines and a timer clock.  Volunteers everywhere (17 in the water alone) and handy packets. Check in was at 6, bikes had to be racked by 630, pre race meeting at 7, club photo at 715 and then race start at 730.

We had to walk 400yds along the beach to get to the start - the course is set to take advantage of the current and boy did it.... after the 100yrd swim out the swim parallel to the shore was awesome. The swim back to shore was a little harder to stay on course towards the finish, but I sighted on a building and made it ok.
   About 100yd jog up the beach and through the parking lot (passed the timer at 15:20)  to the bike - volunteers cheering us on.  I was bound and determined to have a better transition time (even though they didn't give us T-times).  I had my tech shirt already pinned with my bib, so I slipped it on, rinsed my feet, sat down to dry them and put my bike shoes on. And then - the blasted helmet took me 40-forevers to snap! Seriously? Yep

Finally hit the mount line where there were folks from the board of directors cheering us on and watching for helmets and clearing the line.  There was a pretty stiff headwind on the 6.25 miles out, especially once we cleared the big buildings and just had shoreline.  The turn was a button hook at the road closure barriers so I unclipped my left shoe out of caution... and it took me what seemed like days to get it back in.  But once I do I stayed around 19mph for most of the ride back. I passed folks! ME! on the BIKE!
 It still took me roughly 54 minutes.  Transition to run went a little smoother - helmet and sunglasses off, bike shoes kicking in the meantime, then a sit down to put on socks and running shoes grabbed my visor and left jogging.
    I did distances instead of time to determine how far I was going to run / walk / jog. I played head games to figure out how far to go (can't start walking by a power pole... walking isn't power, etc).  I finished the walk / run in 38:16... a new 5K PR!!!! My 5k only PR was previously 38:40! Woot!

There was a guy at the corner just before the finish who would call your number ahead and as you turned into the finish chute the training coordinator called your name... all the finishers were standing around cheering and whistling.   My total time (including T's ) was about 1:55.  I had predicted 2:36!  And I felt good!  
  During the swim I would tell myself I could afford to pull harder because my shoulders were going to get a break. During the bike I told myself I could pedal harder because I know without a doubt I can do a 5k, even it is had to be walking.  And of course my head games helped me go better on the run.

They had sandwiches, cookies, fruit... I had some of all of it.  Then they did door prizes and I actually won something!  A USA Triathlon beanie for cool weather.  Yay!

COURAGE TO START, STRENGTH TO ENDURE, RESOLVE TO FINISH 
                              HW 353 SW 317 Original GW 180  Current Wt  170 
                               First 5k 59:18; 5k PR 32:06;  1st 10k 1:20:27; PR 1:08:36
                                                    1st Half Marathon 2:48

Pensacola Double Bridge Run 15k- 1:47:34
                                                  Three Sprint Triathlons

Jillian O.
on 9/17/12 4:35 pm - Fort Riley, KS
 Way to go on another great finish! Always wonderful when you go faster than expected!

Jillian
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran, Army Wife, 3x Ironman Finisher

LJ1972
on 9/18/12 6:00 pm - FL
thanks!
  I did totally forget the bike was shortened by 5.5 miles though.... lol but that wouldn't have taken up the whole 40 minutes, so I still beat it  :)
nfarris79
on 9/18/12 3:46 am - Germantown, MD
 I"m just awe-struck by you!!! That's so amazing!!! You rock!

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

LJ1972
on 9/18/12 6:02 pm - FL
:)
 Thanks!
hrford
on 9/19/12 4:25 am
VSG on 03/19/12
 So proud of you!   I think the transitions are what would scare me the most about a Tri.  Good luck on the "real" thing and keep up the great work.

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/
1st 5k: 5/12/12 44:55  PR 4miles: 12/31/2012 35:49

Most Active