Resistance Training after Bariatric Surgery

Paul Carrick
on 9/14/12 8:56 pm - Eastsound, WA
VSG on 08/27/12
Greetings:

I'm three weeks post operative from vertical-banded gastroplasty (VBG) surgery. My current exercise routine is mainly cardiovascular 40 min. 4 times a week. 20 min on a Stationary cycle at 15 mph (8 METs) and 20 min. on a Treadmill at 3 mph (3 METS). Prior to my surgery I was swiming a similar program (160 min a week) for about two years but of course swimming is out of the question for a few more weeks. I'm looking to add some resistance training to my program.

From reading it looks like they are recommending sholder shrugs, chest presses and bicep curls. Starting with one set of 8-12 reps. Sounds kind of elementary. I'm not crazy enough to want to try anything with my abs but I'm wondering what might be a reasonable starting point for someone in moderate shape already to begin a resistance training program post bariatric surgery.

Can anyone recommend some exercises or a good training plan? Also how many minutes a week should I plan to resistance train. I simply want to add to my cardiovascular program not replace it.

Thanks so much for your help.

Paul...

HW: 360 SW: 342 GW: 175 CW:  Click to find out  
  "Life is what happens while you're making other plans." - John Lennon

theshrinkingmimi
on 9/16/12 12:50 pm
I definitely focused on cardio only for at least 2 months.  I added steps, hills, and resistance to the stationary bike to improve my cardio endurance during the latter part of that time period. I think that I waited about 3 months (maybe a little less) for strengthening.  I definitely waited past the period where there were lifting restrictions.  To get things started I focused on lats pull down machine, row machine, and squats (proper squats that go pretty low- better to do a few correctly than many incorrectly). I eventually added crunches and planks when I knew it was fine to do so. 

Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
Paul Carrick
on 9/16/12 8:23 am, edited 9/16/12 8:24 am - Eastsound, WA
VSG on 08/27/12
Thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll pospone the resistance then. To be honest it's mainly vanity. I'm getting "bat wings" and I was thinking bulking my arms might help. My honest concern is that my upper body is being ignored by my cardio. Right now it's all legs. I know that when I can swim again my arms will get back in shape. I'm thinking something like really light tri training when I can swim again. One day treadmill & cycle, then the next swiming. If I did resistance I like the idea of the lats pull down and squats using a machine (there's a good one at my gym).

Thanks again for replying.

Take care.

Paul...

Earl C.
on 9/16/12 2:26 pm, edited 9/16/12 2:27 pm - Circleville, OH
I started with some light band and dumbbell work for upper body a few days after surgery, but my surgeon ordered me to wait 6 weeks for anything serious. I figured out quickly, I couldn’t lay down or sit to do anything, I had to stand. I didn’t start squatting again until 6 weeks out. Squatting correctly is a major ab exercise. You won’t want to do anything where the weight is in front of you…that tugs at your abs…so no shrugs. Anyway, it won’t hurt for general fitness to lift 2 or 3 days a week. Since you seem to have a nice gym handy, I would pick 1 machine for each body part and do a circuit. Going non-stop from one exercise to the next is good cardio for general fitness too. Most gyms have someone around that can show you how and why to use a certain machine. I would start with 1 light circuit slowly over a few weeks increase it to 4-5 circuits per workout and then start adding weight.   Good luck.
Paul Carrick
on 9/18/12 9:33 am - Eastsound, WA
VSG on 08/27/12
 Earl:

Thanks...

Good advice. I really appreciate it.

Take care.

Paul...

Most Active