Attempting Race Report - My first Tri!

LJ1972
on 9/8/12 12:28 pm, edited 9/8/12 5:29 am - FL
I am so stoked!!! I finished my first sprint triathlon in way less than my "prediction" -

ETA - official results added (17min faster than what I predicted)

It was the Alabama Coastal Tri It On Tri in Gulf Shores, Al. I spent the night in a hotel - went to bed around 11pm and probably didn't sleep a total of 2hrs before I finally got up at 5. My sister was with me and she helped me put my tattoos on. We had tats for each arm, left calf; our bib; sticker for the bike and sticker for the helmet; then the timing chip.
I had a peanut butter on wheat bread sandwich on the way to the site.
We got to the race site around 545 or so and I went in and set up transition. Did it about 3 times before I called "good enough". There were around 500 entrants for the Sprint Tri with me. Sprint Tri started at 7 and was a time trial start - 5 seconds or so between racers. They started with #1. I was #418. The Olympic distance folks started at 730.

It went a lot faster than I expected and before I knew it my turn was up. I had watched folks running into the surf and falling down a few yards out, so I waded in and sure enough there was a pretty good drop off, then it was knee deep again. The waves were taller than me. When I got past where the waves were breaking I started swimming - the swells were still really big and I felt like I wasn't moving at ALL. But then I passed someone and decided either I was moving forward or they were going backwards. Once I got to that first buoy I felt comfortable enough to stretch out and really swim. My 300yd swim was 9:18

I need to work on Transition, found myself waiting for a guy to get out of my space. Grabbed my towel and tried to get ready for my shirt and bike shoes while he puttered around. Tossed a few sport beans and headed out. T1 - 5:55

My bike rack was exactly in the middle of the transition area, so I had to weave around others and head up to the far corner. There was a bit of a bottle neck so I pushed on past them and waited until I got to the street to get one. The fun part was when I grabbed my water bottle, tilted it up and gave it as squeeze - diluted powerade poured out between the lid and the bottle because my dang dachshund had chewed the lid!!
After only 2 miles I thought it was over.... my legs were gone, my breathing was rattling (I have been sick for a week), my head was pounding and the headwind was on the way out. I kept on though because no quitting, and slowing down equals quitting. The bike was pretty much a flat course -very nice to ride - along the Gulf for a couple of miles, then turning into the Gulf State park and riding on paved roads through the woods. My first half was so slow!

But then I made the turn for the 2nd half, and I found myself passing people! I never pass people on the bike. Despite the misery of the first 5 miles, I felt great the last half. I still wasn't going as fast as I have on my training rides. But even with bike being the weakest area for me, I finished the 10 miles 46:39

T2 went much better 1:01 - I ditched the bike shoes and grabbed a drink (and the lid popped off... dang dog) then sat to put on socks and running shoes, grabbed my visor and walked to the other end of transition to start the 2 mile run. My legs were quivering!

When I turned onto the sidewalk to start the run, I saw my sister at the end with the camera and knew I couldn't WALK by her... so I started jogging. I walked / jogged the 2 miles without a whole lot of leg issues, but my breathing was ragged.
I told myself when I got closer to the finish lots more running and less walking. When I reached the 100yd mark I started running, and when I turned the corner and saw the finish chute, I "sprinted" as much as my dead legs would let me. My final run time was 26:55

For a total time of 1:29:47

I wasn't last, but I was pretty close lol. 191/226 for women; age group was 33/36. It seems like I should be upset by that? but I'm totally not. I am still so excited I just want to brag that I was IN that division of 36 women over 40. I was THERE with the other 225 women in general.

Yeah, I'm ok with it. and I think maybe I am hooked - I will treasure that silly red plastic finisher's mug!

COURAGE TO START, STRENGTH TO ENDURE, RESOLVE TO FINISH 
                              HW 353 SW 317 Original GW 180  Current Wt  170 
                               First 5k 59:18; 5k PR 32:06;  1st 10k 1:20:27; PR 1:08:36
                                                    1st Half Marathon 2:48

Pensacola Double Bridge Run 15k- 1:47:34
                                                  Three Sprint Triathlons

acbbrown
on 9/8/12 12:59 pm - Granada Hills, CA
 Yay! I'm glad you posted this! I've been following your training and I think this is wonderful!  You did fantastic for your first tri - i'm glad you are happy with your experience. It is quite the rush. 

Hope to read many more of these - keep it up!

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

LJ1972
on 9/9/12 8:16 am - FL
Thanks! I am still floating!  lol
Jillian O.
on 9/8/12 7:29 pm - Fort Riley, KS
 Congrats on your first tri! You did awesome! I am so proud of you!

Jillian
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran, Army Wife, 3x Ironman Finisher

LJ1972
on 9/9/12 8:17 am - FL
I REALLY appreciate you saying that! Thanks for your inspiration!
Don J.
on 9/9/12 7:53 am - Garner, IA
 Great job! I love your story. A tri is one of my goals, after a marathon.  Thanks for sharing. 

HW 349/CW 197 

5K - Race with the Stars - 29:46 (11/03/12) . 13.1 - Spirit of Survival-Lawton, OK  - 2:30:16 (10/7/12) . Route 66 Tulsa Marathon. 6:19:15 (11/18/12)

LJ1972
on 9/9/12 8:17 am - FL
oooh I have assured myself a marathon is not in my future! So  ROCK ON!!!  :)
on 9/10/12 7:05 am - National City, MI
Awesome job! And you have every right to feel proud of yourself...no matter what place you finish in.
The fact is that you've done something that most people would never have the guts to even attempt. Reading your race report made me remember my first tri and the feeling I had crossing the finish line. My body was beat up and I ached all over....and, as I crossed the line, I was already planning on doing another one because I knew I was hooked....LOL
 Congrats on your first tri. I hope you have many more successful finishes.
LJ1972
on 9/10/12 4:41 pm - FL
Thanks!  My next one is a little bit longer swim / run, on October 6!!
KatCooper
on 9/10/12 9:14 am - Collierville, TN
 WooHooo!!!!!   Awesome job!  Like Alison, I have been watching how hard and consistent you have been training and you did a fantastic job!!!  Thanks for posting this.  This is something I really want to do, but I am not a big swimmer.  :-/   I cant wait to hear about your next race!!!

Kat

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

Most Active