Knee recovery

Seht
on 9/5/12 9:31 am
Let me start by saying never break your knee.  OMG this has been the longest recovery I have ever had.  10+ weeks so far and I'm still not walking right.  Broken arm and collar bone are nothing compared to this.

First real ride on the bike since the accident.  Still a little gun shy and I think I white nuckled every intersection or car encounter, but I made it to work today.  Then I find out we could have thunder storms this afternoon.  I didn't dress appropriately for that.

Still some stiffness in the right knee and I get painful twinges if I hit any bumps or potholes.
I am walking more normally, but stairs are still difficult I can't really do them foot over foot.  I still take each step with the good leg first and then drag the bad one along for the ride.  I'm a long way away from running, but I don't look so much like a club foot hunchback any longer when I walk.

I may take a ride with the club this weekend if I can find a short ride.  I was going to go last week, but my wife said don't call me if you can't do it.  She didn't think I was ready to try yet.  So basically I chickened out and backed down.  If the slow paced club ride goes well, I think I'll try and challenge my legs with spin class again.

I'm still lurking, and I hope to have some positive things to contribute to the forum again as I start to work out again.

Have a great day,

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

acbbrown
on 9/5/12 5:00 pm - Granada Hills, CA
I can't imagine how painful a broken knee is !!! What an awful recovery!

Maybe start with spin so if you need to call it a day - you just have to hop off the bike and not worry about getting home - and you dont have to worry about hitting the potholes and dodging cars?

Either way - I'm sure you will be back riding in no time! Looking forward to your return :)

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

goldenhair
on 9/23/12 11:03 pm
 injuring your knee doesn't mean you hace to stop being active, but it may mean that you may need to change the way you exercise. where possible, avoid high-impact activities that jar your joints such as running and football, or sports that involve sudden twisting or pivoting motions. 

Swimming and aquaerobics are a great way to maintain aerobic fitness without puting excess strain on your knees. 

:) have a great day, i hope it helps
Most Active