My CrossFit Experience

jamiemariep
on 8/27/12 10:12 am
So, I did it! I got over my fear and anxiety and tendency to avoid doing anything new by myself and I went to a CrossFit Box and did an intro session this morning! It was crazy, intense, hard AND fun all wrapped up in one. These are some seriously fit people. I felt like I was way out of my league when I walked in but honestly everyone was SO nice and they made me feel like I belonged there.

I don't know all the terminology but they do a standard warmup that included things like stretching, sit ups, leg lifts (lateral?), and chin ups (I did it assisted with giant rubber bands and it was CRAZY!)

Forgive me for hacking these terms but we did: deadlifts, squats while holding a bar with weights on my chest, and burpees as the workout of the day. I'm sure we did other things but it was kind of a blur. There were 4 trainers there today and there was someone with me the whole time correcting my form and motivating. It was a really nice atmosphere. The owner emailed me half an hour after to check in with me and even though I am totally not on the same level as these people (there were dudes there deadlifting 275lbs) they made me feel like one of them.

Hubby and I talked and I'm going to bite the bullet and do it 3-4x a week for the month of September to see where that gets me fitness and weight wise and then go from there. I'm hoping this will improve my metabolism, my running abilities, and just overall fitness. I guess my goal since it's not feasible to do this forever is to learn new things and how to do them correctly so I can potentially do some of this stuff on my own in the future.

Tiara Classic 5k 5/13/12: 37:19
Marion Village 5k 6/23/12 32:55
Rochester Road Race 5k 8/11 29:58
Acushnet Road Race 4 mile 9/3 41:07
Spooky Spooner 5k 10/28 PR 28:05

acbbrown
on 8/27/12 11:51 am - Granada Hills, CA
AWESOME!!!  I know it takes a lot of courage to put yourself out there but you did it :)

Once I recover from plastics, Id like to try this. All of my crossfit friends are super fit.

Id say just focus on the fitness aspect of it and don't factor in the weight because you never know what will happen - sometimes the scale does wonky things when you start a new exercise routine and it could take more than a month to see real results. Keep track of your progress and have lots of fun.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

jamiemariep
on 8/28/12 3:51 am
When are you doing plastics? Your journey has been super inspirational for me, just wanted to let you know that!

Tiara Classic 5k 5/13/12: 37:19
Marion Village 5k 6/23/12 32:55
Rochester Road Race 5k 8/11 29:58
Acushnet Road Race 4 mile 9/3 41:07
Spooky Spooner 5k 10/28 PR 28:05

acbbrown
on 8/28/12 5:33 am - Granada Hills, CA
 Mid November - I scheduled my 1/2 marathon as my last goal before I chop myself up :) 

Thank you! I dont always feel very inspirational but i'm glad ive been able to do that. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Jp2lose
on 8/29/12 1:25 pm - Omaha, NE
Good for you!! I do Crossfit and LOVE it. I'm not very strong, but I do what I can. I'll never be at the level to compete, but I don't care. They are great about scaling lifts and movements to build you up to doing the full range. The "squats while holding a bar with weights on my chest" are called front squats.

I started this because I wanted to lift weights - real weights - and was just too intimated to do it at a gym by myself. I love having a trainer there telling me what to lift and making sure I'm doing things right. I think it's just as good as a getting a personal trainer. I know it's not cheap, but it's a lot less than the personal trainers are.

I also didn't want to be a scrawny skinny, but a fit and strong thin person and this has really helped me accomplish this. My DR is actually the one who turned me onto Crossfit.

That's great that they had 4 trainers there! My box is pretty new and the business is still growing so there's only 1 trainer there at a time, but the classes are usually only 4-6 people.

Take some ibuprofen; you're probably going to be sore

Jen

hrford
on 9/2/12 7:45 am
VSG on 03/19/12
 Yeah you.  I"m going to be adding something similar in (my military gym calls it "functional fitness") two days a week, so the days I don't run.  I've heard you are extremely sore the next day, so we'll see!  

Congrats on getting out there and I'd pick something besides the scale to focus on, like maybe doing an unassisted pull-up since as said above, adding a heavy workout routine can really pack on the water weight as your body mends muscles.

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/
1st 5k: 5/12/12 44:55  PR 4miles: 12/31/2012 35:49

Most Active