Is 30 minutes enough time to be on the treadmill

JordynsMommy
on 8/15/12 10:24 pm - PA
VSG on 05/10/12
I usually do 30 minutes on the treadmill or 30 minutes on the bike or 15 minutes on the elliptical. Is 30 minutes enough time for Cardio 4-5 days a week or should I be doing more? Maybe 45 mins to 1 hour? I'm 3 months out. I plan to start Zumba and other fitness classes next week as well as water aerobics to switch up my routine because I get bored quickly. Thank you for your suggestions.

mcarthur01
on 8/16/12 6:59 am - Cumming, GA
it really depends on what your goals are.  30 min of cardio 4 or 5 days a week is a heckuva lot better than most people put in.  if you are interested in something beyond just keeping yourself fit and healthy, you can work in other training strategies.  don't forget strength training however!  the only sure fire way to increase your metabolism is to increase your lean muscle mass.  good luck.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

heathermc44
on 8/18/12 6:09 pm - Bremerton, WA
I agree with above poster, it's better than what most people are doing.  Also, if you haven't exercised in a while then it's better to start slowly then go all gang busters and potentially hurt yourself.  I would definately incorporate strength training.

JordynsMommy
on 8/18/12 6:46 pm - PA
VSG on 05/10/12
I do strength training 3 days a week ive been workin out since 2 weeks post op

Kim S.
on 8/21/12 6:33 am - Helena, AL
Generally speaking, you should be able to maintain a healthy lifestyle and get good muscle tone if you dedicate an hour a day to exercise.  This is not so much time that you'll feel like you are neglecting other things in your life.

A good fitness plan includes balance.  You have to be able to balance it with all the other demands on your life-kids, spouse, job, church, house.........friends........etc.  Devote too much time to it and then something else gets neglected......you have to find the amount of time that balances out your life.

You can definitely get all you need in a workout in an hour-whether it is cardio, strength training or stretching/balance work.  The key is to use good form and really push yourself to get the maximum results.

You have to enjoy what you do, otherwise you will not stick with it, and you can't feel guilty that you are neglecting something else in your life, or that will pressure you to give up.

Scott William
on 8/22/12 3:46 am
When I started back after surgery, I had an hour a day to workout at the gym. I would do 30 minutes on the TM and when I started I was at about 2 miles in that time. I stuck with 30 minutes but increased the speed so that after a few more months, I was at about 3.5 miles. The other 30 minutes I dedicated to lifting and stretching. When my goals changes (marathon) I changes the routine but starting out, I wouldn't change anything.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Most Active