First Triathlon is SUNDAY Need help!

Rescuehoney76
on 8/15/12 11:15 am
VSG on 03/21/12
Hey all!
I am trying to get my Tri gear in place and was wondering what energy type of snack do you use? I  was told to get glu or gel but isnt that all sugar??

Paul C.
on 8/15/12 1:44 pm - Cumming, GA
 GU and most of those type products are simple carbs which does not mean sugar as you know it.

Many are a Maldextrose or Dextrose based product.  You may want to experiment at home so you know what works and what doesn't.  Last thing you want is to be out on course take a gel and have GI issues or an insulin dump.

Something like Chomps or Sports Beans gives you a bit more control over how much you take in at anytime.

Good luck and have fun
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Seht
on 8/15/12 3:34 pm, edited 8/14/12 8:36 pm
Oh that is something you should try before race day. If your race is in a few days, then It's a little late. You should try to make it a part of your training. Try it at home where you are close to the restroom, then out on a short run or ride, then on a longer training session. You don't want to find out on race day that it makes you sick or causes you to dump or any of the other issues some of us have with sugar.

I agree with the suggestion of the chomps or the sports beans.
The other think you can do is to mix the gels with some water in a sports bottle so that they aren't as thick and you won't be taking in as much "sugar" at one time.

How long is your race?

If you expect to be out for less than an hour like a sprint race, you won't need anything at all. Anything longer than that you need to consider taking in some type of nutrition.

If it isn't much longer than that, you could probably get away with a sports drink, a bottle of gatorade on the bike and what they are giving out on the run. You can water that down too if you body doesn't like it in the concentrated form.

Good luck/best wishes on your first Tri. Let us know how it goes.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

LJ1972
on 8/15/12 5:47 pm - FL
no advice but can't wait to read your race report! My first Tri is Sept 8
Most Active