Bike Riding & Nutrition

Marcia C.
on 8/11/12 9:39 pm - Holden, MA
Hi!  I have recently returned to the joy of my youth... Bike riding!! I got a Specialized Vita and am in love with riding all over again after 26 years of not riding.  I am averaging 20 miles a week for now and am about to bump it up to 30 and am wanting to do a 25 mile ride in Maine on Sept. 8th but.... Does anybody know how I am supposed to prep for a 3 hour ride?  My inclination is banana and peanutbutter.... Cytomax Sport .... just before and during... then Isopure afterwards... With Cytomax Jel or Organic granola bars or cliff bars during the ride... say one per hour...

Any thoughts or comments or knowledge shared would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!

Marcia ~ WeepingMermaid 

acbbrown
on 8/11/12 10:45 pm - Granada Hills, CA
 For my 25 mi rides, I used to eat a mixed carb/protein BK and my favorite mid ride snack was a Starbucks drink - sugar + caffeine = happy me :) I like the espresso gels too with low cal G2. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Paul C.
on 8/12/12 9:17 am - Cumming, GA
I will do a small carb breakfast about 45 minutes prior. For a 60-90 ride I use Roctane powder mixed in one of my water bottles, after that I try and get a gel in every 45 minutes.

A few purple swear by the honey stinger waffles on the bike but I have a hard time eating on the bike.

Remember that in this activity your body will need fuel and protein isn't the best fuel option, awesome for recovery.

Things like granola, bananas, our say even have a pb sandwich will take you far.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
LJ1972
on 8/12/12 1:59 pm - FL
The granola, bananas, or pb sandwich - do you mean these for pre, during or post workout?
  I  struggle with early morning workouts because I try to "eat" within 30 minutes of waking, but I also have been told by my trainer to have nutrition about 45min before training. So it looks like this:

Breakfast - usually a protein shake made w/ skim milk
about an hour later, 45 min before training - WW Waffle w/ peanut butter  and 1/2 banana

I bought some Clif , Gu and Hammer nutritional supplements to experiment with....
acbbrown
on 8/13/12 8:13 am - Granada Hills, CA
Those would be good before, and depending on how long your activity is - during. Afterwards, you want to focus on protein.

I have been running in the mornings and dont eat before. As my runs get longer, I may just start drinking gatorade or something while I run instead of powerade zero.

Now all I want is a PBJ sandwich!!!

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Most Active