Back in the pool

Seht
on 7/30/12 12:24 am
I'm still rehabbing my broken knee, but I was able to get in the pool and do a couple hundred yards this weekend.  I haven't had any physical exercise beyond the crutches for over 2 months now.

Breaking your knee cap is no bueno.  I highly recommend avoiding that experience at all costs.

The one good thing about it is that it gives you intant feedback when you are kicking from the knee instead of from the hips. I had to end up using a pull bouy. 

The good news is that my new swim coach said that my swim stroke actually looks good, and she thinks my issues are actually just a matter of getting in enough yards to build the endurance.  The plan is to work me up to 15,000 yards a week.

I just volunteered at the local 140.6 and decided that I would be doing that event next year provided I can run.  I really wanted to do one of the Ironman branded events, but with travel and extra costs  of doing one of their events, that just isn't in the cards right now.

Right now my leg still doesn't want to bend very well.  I don't think I could actually get on the bike and turn the cranks, but I'm able to go periods of time without the brace and I am hobbling around without the crutches as much as possible.  I'm trying to work on getting some of the flexibility back.

Anyhow I hope everyone is doing well.  I know I haven't posted much lately, but being hurt, unmotivated and not having any focus has been a bit of a downer.  Having a plan is certainly helping.

I have enjoyed reading everyone's race reports and exercise adventures.  Keep up the great work.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

LJ1972
on 7/30/12 9:20 am - FL
Yowch!
Kudos to you for getting back in the water .. you are determined and strong enough you will be back in form at the right time for you.
mcarthur01
on 8/1/12 1:35 am - Cumming, GA
hey stranger... glad to see you are getting in some pool time.  how long until the knee heals enough to add the bike?
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Seht
on 8/1/12 1:56 am
I got on the stationary bike at the gym last night.  It was no good. It hurt too much.

So I moved to one of the recumbent stationaries and actually was able to turn some circles.
I guess it was the angle or the ability to move the seat further back.  I can move my leg around 90 degrees or so now at the knee, but it is still tender and some times I have to give it some help by moving it and supporting it with my hands.

Once I get it to that position it is OK and there isn't any real pain, but I can feel the tightness of the muscles/tendons.

So it's baby steps, but I have a year until next years Ironman, so I think it's doable.

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Most Active