x-post: question for runners?

moonglo82
on 7/28/12 2:26 am
VSG on 03/29/12
A trip to the podidatrist a few days ago due to a foot injury landed me in a discussion about proper footwear for jogging/running.  The injury had nothing to do with my shoes (that I know of), but I would still like to make sure that I am wearing proper footwear when I start back on my c25k training in two weeks.

Basically, the main thing the podiatrist said about shoes was that they need to not be extremely flexible; he doesn't want them to bend much when one tries to push the heel and toes upwards towards each other.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good running shoe?  I'm not really an avid runner, but I would love to get to where I CAN jog the 30 minutes that the c25k supposedly leads you up to being able to complete.  Before my injury, I had finished up week 2, which is jogging for 90 seconds, walking two minutes, back and forth for 20 minutes plus a warm up walk.

Thanks!

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

Kim S.
on 7/30/12 12:08 am - Helena, AL
The best advice I ever got--go to a running store and get fitted properly.

They will watch you walk/run, see if you over pronate, etc and recommend the best shoe for you.  Also, running shoes are purchased much bigger than regular shoes.  I wear an 8 and was shocked that in a running shoe took a 9.5!  Of course I had already lost 2 toenails from wearing poorly fitted running shoes purchased at a "big box" (Academy Sports) store. 

My good running shoes were only $100-which have been worth every single penny.  They are good for roughly 500 miles, and I bought mine a year ago and am just ready for a new pair.

In Birmingham we have the Trak Shak-just Google "running store" and see what you have in your area.

moonglo82
on 7/30/12 10:35 am
VSG on 03/29/12

Thank you! 

Wow... I had no idea that running shoe sizes can need to be bumped up that much!  Maybe that explans why I've had some trouble with ingrown toenails lately...

I'll google and see what I find in the way of a running store.  Thanks for the info!

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

hrford
on 7/31/12 2:00 am
VSG on 03/19/12
 Yep I wear a 10 in normal shoes and an 11 in my running shoes and sometimes have to go to men's, damned huge feet.

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/
1st 5k: 5/12/12 44:55  PR 4miles: 12/31/2012 35:49

moonglo82
on 8/1/12 1:14 pm
VSG on 03/29/12
Lol!  My best friend is like that... I have the opposite issue.  Mine are small (about a size 6... I can usually do just fine with kid's sizing and save a little money that way haha), BUT my forefront is fairly wide, apparently moreso than the rest of my foot, because wide width shoes used to be a must; now they're better for my forefronts, but then my heels have extra space, which probably isn't a good thing.

Most Active