Lolking for some advice

Pkrplyr777
on 7/15/12 6:32 pm - CT
I run about 4.5 miles at a clip. I try to run every day because I love it.
However, sometimes my muscles in my legs get sore and I just cant run until they aren't sore anymore, takes a couple days sometimes.

Usually it's the front of my upper legs the Quad (?) but sometimes my calves as well although my calves usually feel better in a day.

Is there something I could be doing to help prevent that kind of pain/stress and recover faster from my runs?

I drink a lot of water while running, I have a camel pack and I drink a protein shake within one hour after I'm done.

I also eat about 15 grams of carbs before I leave.

any help would be welcome.

Thanks,
donna
  HW/233 *  SW/212 * CW/133 *GW/132 * 100 Pounds of FAT gone FOREVER!

Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple~Dr.Suess            
(deactivated member)
on 7/16/12 12:12 am - IL
 Hi, it is great that you run like this, it is very good for the heart and for blood circulation however, I dont see you mentioning stretching within your question.  If you are not, you need to stretch the lower leg muscles holding the stretch for 15-60 seconds each one.  Eating less sodium and drinking plenty of water, especially when running can prevent cramps.  Be sure that you are getting your daily water requirements, otherwise this can be the cause from dehydration.  Workout the legs at least 2 days a week to help stregthen the muscles to prevent muscle fatigue.  And finally if you are running everyday, that can cause slight soreness in itself.  Try lighter cardio exercises to prevent less stress on the muscles and give them a break.  Hope this helps

Source: Personal trainer with www.isefitness.com 
Pkrplyr777
on 7/16/12 12:15 am - CT
No i don't stretch.
I can look up on line stretching techniques.
Should I stretch before, after or both?
I love to run everyday and hope to build up enough stamina that my muscles can take it.
thanks,
donna

(deactivated member)
on 7/16/12 12:22 am - IL
 What you can do is stretch after about 5 to 10 minutes into the run or afterwards.  You NEVER want to stretch a cold muscle as this can cause injury and other complications.  Running everyday is awsome, but you also need to have resistance training for your legs, this builds muscle endurance and prevents muscle fatigue.  Resistance train 2-3 days a week.  

Source: personal trainer  at  www.isefitness.com 
Jillian O.
on 7/16/12 12:44 am - Fort Riley, KS
Here's my take on it, I run a lot, along with cycling and swimming

Last winter I ran 5-6 days a week training for my second marathon, which I ended up running in 3:56. First off, looks like you are only drinking water before and during your runs, you need to be drinking some kind of electrolyte drink as well. If you are worried about sugar an calories, you can drink Gatorade G2 for half the calories of regular Gatorade, or Powerade Zero, which is zero calories.

Lack of electrolytes causes cramps, which can hinder recovery. Right now, with all tha****er, you are flushing out all the electrolytes.

Also, invest in some recover compression garments. I have a few sets of calf compression sleeves. After a hard run or bike ride, I will wear them the rest of the day, and even sleep in them on an especially tough day. They increase blood flow and reduce swelling in your calves. I want to get compression recovery tights eventually, but they are really expensive.

Jillian
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran, Army Wife, 3x Ironman Finisher

Pkrplyr777
on 7/16/12 12:48 am - CT
Thanks to both of you.
I can drink G2. I'll give that a shot.

I'll head over to Dicks to see if they sell the compression garments.

Thanks again.
donna

Pkrplyr777
on 7/16/12 6:50 pm - CT
Jillian, thanks for the advice.

One question, should I drink the G2 before the 5 mile run, during or after?
And is 17 oz enough?

thanks,
donna

Jillian O.
on 7/16/12 10:15 pm - Fort Riley, KS
Before, during, and after. The extra carbs during will help you through the run. In the period before, during, and after the run you should try to drink the who bottle

Jillian
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran, Army Wife, 3x Ironman Finisher

RosieSweetie21
on 7/16/12 8:26 am
When I was on a cross country team, we would do a slow run for 10-15 min, then do stretches for another 15min, then start our run. Then at the end, we would also stretch for another 5-10 min. Definitely the other tips, like using electrolyte replacement drinks should help. When you run a lot, you should also be replacing your running shoes more frequently, too. We used to run on different terrains, not just asphalt, like the beach (barefoot), field and in a very hilly park. I  was also told to cross train, like swim and cycle, and use weights .  Some people need orthotics (shoe inserts) to correct under and over pronation, which may cause muscle soreness, so you may want to consult a Dr.who does sports medicine.  (Dr Scholls has a display where you step on an electronic  pad and it determines what type of insert would be helpful- my husband did this and says they are helpful for him. Walmart has a display and I think they were about $50). If there's a running club near you, it might be helpful to join for more current tips. I actually messed up my knees running, especially because I kept doing it even when I had pain, which is part of the reason I got MO, so I think you should be proactive so you don't do any real damage.  (Now I mostly swim, water aerobics and cycle) I hope you find something useful here.
Pkrplyr777
on 7/16/12 8:42 am - CT
Thanks.
I think I need to be a lot more pro-active with this because I don't want to injure myself.
I really do like running and want to do it daily...cheap therapy, lol

I'll have to look for a running club in the area.
And I think I'll start the stretching while 15 minutes into the run.

Thanks for all the feedback,
It really is quite helpful.

donna

Most Active