After the surgery did anyone take up bike riding?

sjnils
on 7/7/12 5:29 am - fremont, NE
I just got a new bike, and I was sooooo excited.  I'm so disappointed now because I have trouble getting started.  I can't seem to get the pedals around the first time.  I only can do it if I'm going down a hill.  I hope it gets better ---  maybe my legs will get stronger???
If you started riding a bike, would you let me know how it was for you at first?
acbbrown
on 7/7/12 7:26 am - Granada Hills, CA
 I rode a mountain bike in college but then...took a few years off.

Post-op, I first started on the recumbent bikes at the gym. Once I got to the point where my knees could handle more than a few minutes, I started using the upright stationary bikes, and eventually went on to start spin classes.

After 3-4 months, I bought a road bike, and I didnt have any issues getting started. 

One thought though (because I lived on a hill for a while and couldnt really jump on and start climbing) is maybe you need to put the bike into an easier gear before you get on. If you are on the hardest gear right now, that might be the issue (even I would have issues). What kind of bike are you on? 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

sjnils
on 7/7/12 11:41 am - fremont, NE
Clairmont Women'sThis is my bike.  A Schwinn Cruiser.  Just got it today.  Didn't go so well.  I'm in 2nd gear.  
DANCBJAMMIN
on 7/8/12 12:50 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Keep at it... It gets easier!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

sjnils
on 7/9/12 7:21 am - fremont, NE
Thank you!!  I went to you blog---you are an inspiration!!  I made it 23 minutes this morning, so it is better, and I know it will get even better.  I have trouble with my feet (one has no reflexes,and I am assuming the other one is just weak), but hopefully they will get better, too. 

Thanks again!!
nikkobleu
on 7/15/12 2:46 am
VSG on 04/30/12
Hi. I'm 3 months post op and try to walk but find it very difficult(i know this is an excuse) but it's boring. decided to get the bike out, cleam off the dust, and go for a ride. Well the first time tried to get on it and I have a little uphill driveway, Well when I got to the top I fell off the bike. Is my balance off from being heavy? I thought one never forgets how to ride. Now my husband is teasing me that I need training wheels again. I'm nervous to get back on without full body armour.
Most Active