Bouyancy: Hope may float. Me? Not so much...

Krazydoglady
on 7/3/12 1:10 am - FL

My pool goes below my minimum swim temp (80F) from about Nov-April although we keep it 'open' year round.  I have friends who will swim in Feb/Mar from Canada, but I'm a Floridian. What can I say. 

A funny thing happened when I ventured into the water this spring.    I actually have to work to stay afloat.  Since October, I know I've changed by body composition a lot, but I hadn't realized how much.  I jump into the deep end of my pool and go to the bottom, and I actually have to swim back up like when I was a kid.  It's a really odd sensation after 3 decades of 'positive bouyancy.' 

I'm a strong swimmer -- I swam competitively for a decade until I realized at about 15 that I was 5'2" and always going to be 5'2". I had just forgotten that you actually have to tread water to stay afloat when you're not carrying around much extra fat.   I actually feel like I can get a workout in the pool, now.  For years, between being so 'floaty' and being an efficient swimmer, It didn't do a whole lot for me.  I could kind of cruise without having to work too hard.

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

Paul C.
on 7/3/12 1:17 am - Cumming, GA
 I don't swim!

I "Prevent Drowning with Slight Forward Momentum"
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
KatCooper
on 7/3/12 4:12 am - Collierville, TN
I had the same issue just recently and I was shocked that I could sink!!!  First time in 20 years that happened!! 

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

Gail S.
on 7/4/12 12:21 am - New York, NY
I grew up with a pool in my backyard and come from a family of competitive swimmers and divers. I always loved to swim and considered myself a strong swimmer. Last weekend I was visiting my parents and I told my mom that I don't think I was ever such a great swimmer, I was just buoyant. OMG! swimming is WORK now... I never knew...

DANCBJAMMIN
on 7/5/12 12:03 am - Fort Worth, TX
80* Pool water minimum??? That is like swimming in piss! lol... Fat floats really well, so as we lose it, we sink. Get a good kick in the water to help with that. In 6 months I want to rename you "Flipper".... Git er Dun!!!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Most Active