Suggestions needed for a new runner!

Tonya S.
on 7/1/12 12:26 pm
Hello my Oh family!

I have a goal to run (at least mostly run) a 5k in Oct. I'm out running 3-4 days a week, in the early morning hours while it's still dark.  I also have Asthma, so when I can't breathe while running it's hard to know if I'm just needing to increase my endurance or if I'm getting into trouble?

I've asked my pulmonologist for help- he changed my inhaler. I even tried to get into pulmonary rehab and was told that I'm trying to be an athete, rehab is for people who want to walk across the room without oxygen on!   At this point , I think if I'm not wheezing when I'm struggling to breathe, it's endurance. I carry my inhaler in my bra- so it's always with me.

My question is--other than looking at the couch to 5k program, do any of you who have started running have suggestions about regulating your breathing, shoes, increasing distance, When to eat- how often to drink, eat carbs before starting or after, stretching? I'm fairly ignorant- really!

Thanks!

" You will be safe in his arms, the hands that hold the world are holding your heart"
Sue M.
on 7/1/12 11:25 pm - Nantucket, MA
 coach to 5k rocks!  that's how I started.
I have exercise enduced asthma, and generally have a lot of trouble with it in the summer.  I used to use my inhaler BEFORE a run, and then carry it with me taking a puff every hour or so (of I felt the need).
I was prescribed singulair last summer to try.  I take it 1-2 hours before - and it works beautifully for me.  Not sure if it's recommended for you, but I would ask your doctors.  I no longer carry my rescue inhaler.

Other than the inhaler/asthma stuff, the breathing eventually comes to you.  It usually takes me 5-10 minutes to fall into a comfortable breathing rhythm.  Endurance will get you there, it just takes time.  Also, learning what is a comfortable pace for you.

the eating thing is all trial and error.  30 minutes or less of exercise usually doesn't require any special pre-planning, though everyone is different.  More than that, a pre-workout snack of protein/carb mix (peanut butter and crackers?) is good.  

Water is always good.  Learning to run with it sloshing in your belly is interesting.  Under 30 minutes, you shouldn't need it during a workout, but make sure to start out hydrated.

running shoes: go to a running store.  Not a big box sports store - but a running store.  They will look at you walk and run and find shoes to fit your foot placement.  I go in with no allegience to any color, brand, style... i just want what makes my foot feel best.  I'm in Nike's now, but have enjoyed Saucony and Brooks in the past.  My posture, stride and form have all completely changed during weight loss and as I build endurance.  Let the pros guide you.

I will now let others share their wisdom... lord knows I know little!!!

Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
hrford
on 7/9/12 8:23 am
VSG on 03/19/12
 To regulate my breathing I sing a cadence in my head.  I'll admit it's handy that I was in the Army so I know some cadences but it's almost impossible to breath "wrong" while singing cadence.  Some are pretty rauncy and make me smile too.  

As said above I'd see about getting on a once a day inhaler like singulair and then rescue inhaler just when you need it.  I sorta just did the whole get out there and run thing without following a program until after my first 5k and then I switched to Hal Higdon's program for a 1/2 marathon.  In 8 weeks I dropped my 5k time over 10 min.  For me getting better at the moment is about feet on the ground.  The more miles I do the better I become.  

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/
1st 5k: 5/12/12 44:55  PR 4miles: 12/31/2012 35:49

Kim S.
on 7/2/12 1:06 am - Helena, AL
What Sue said!

And-Google "breating while running".  I came across several good articles that helped me-that was my biggest issue when I was starting out.

Waterwench
on 7/5/12 12:49 am - portland, OR
You might want to check out Runnersworld.com. There's a beginner's forum, and a Couch-to-5k thread. There are a lot of people who run with asthma over there, so I'm sure you'll find some good tips! Best of luck!

"Fall down 7 times--STAND UP 8!"

heatherambrosia
on 7/8/12 11:37 am - GA
I'm right there with you Tonya. I just finished 9 weeks of c25K and went from barely walk jogging to running 30 minutes at a 14 min mile. I do have breathing issues when it's humid, so summers in GA may be a problem. I have a doctors appt to discuss my long ago diagnosed exercise induced asthma. I'm going to have a 5k in two weeks, another a month later and a mini triathalon in October. I'm really excited and wish you lots of luck. Thanks for the words or wisdom ladies!
SW 343, Current below, Goal 160 & to start a family!11978920
Most Active