Scamp's (Brian's) great adventure...

cabin111
on 6/25/12 12:27 pm, edited 6/25/12 12:34 am
My wife calls me Scamp...I do a lot of day and overnight adventures. For a few years I've been wanting to take my bike to Davis, CA (college town...UC Davis). I've heard so much about the city. My dad went to college there (in 1939 till WWII broke out). It's been 32 years since I've seen the campus. Below is something about the bike environment.

Bikes in front of the Davis Amtrak station.

Bicycling has been a popular mode of transportation in Davis for decades, particularly among UC Davis students. In 2010, Davis became the new home of the United States Bicycling Hall of Fame.

Davis racks

Bicycle infrastructure became a political issue in the 1960s, culminating in the election of a pro-bicycle majority to the City Council in 1966.[18] By the early 1970s, Davis became a pioneer in the implementation of cycling facilities. As the city expands, new facilities are usually mandated. As a result, Davis residents today enjoy an extensive network of bike lanes, bike paths, and grade-separated bicycle crossings.[19][20][21] The flat terrain and temperate climate are also conducive to bicycling.

Bicycle crossing over Covell Blvd.

In 2005 the Bicycle-Friendly Community program of the League of American Bicyclists recognized Davis as the first Platinum Level city in the US[22][23] In March 2006, Bicycling Magazine named Davis the best small town for cycling in its compilation of "America's Best Biking Cities."[24]

Anyways this was on my bucket list...It's becoming a short list as I get older!! I drove the 100 miles in my pickup with the bike in the back. Tried to find parking around the campus...Could only find 2 hour parking downtown. I could not believe how many bikes there were. Even downtown it was like 3 times as many bikes than cars. People of all ages were riding. I rode to the campus arboretum. It is a tree lined path along a body of water. About every 200 yards is a different garden (like the Australian garden or the Foothills Garden). Just a few short climbs...Didn't need to do the walk of shame or even drop down a gear. Campus is very pretty...A lot of students (I think it's summer session). Rode back to my truck and put the bike in it (about 5 miles). I had parked in front of a mediterranean restaurant. I walked in and had some lamb shish kabob. I'm 1/2 Armenian so was familiar with the food. Moved my truck to the other side of campus...Parked and rode through campus again...About another 5 miles. I was passed by a cop on a bicycle...Gun, short pants, great legs. Was debating on spending the night there or head home...I decided to head home to beat the traffic in Sacramento and Stockton. I'm tired but overall it was a good day. Those of you bicycling, don't forget to check out your local junior (community) college or university. There are a lot of good bike paths in and near them. Thanks for reading...Brian

acbbrown
on 6/25/12 1:38 pm - Granada Hills, CA
 Thanks for the good memories this brought back - i spent many years in college/law school in Davis and had my fair share of time on my bike there. It's pretty dangerous but good exercise. I used to ride from Davis to/from Winters which was a nice ride. The bike paths are pretty awesome too. 

Sounds like you had a great day!

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Most Active