No keen on running--anyone into jump roping or hula hoop?

Feather_Fluff
on 6/24/12 4:07 am - San Francisco, CA
VSG on 02/15/12
I just hired a personal training three weeks ago and am slowly working towards waking up my muscles from several years of inactivity by doing isometrics, stretches and chair exercises.  I also have to see a neurologist next week as I may have a nerve compression issue that causes pain and numbness on the right side of my leg, which inhibits me from walking much and standing  much....that said, it is my hope that that issue will be resolved so that I can expand my work outs.  I hired this particular trainer as he knew regardless of my current condition, he could help me.  He is also an advocate of strengthening your core muscles.  And believe me they can be worked out well, even via chair exercises!  I like his work out philosophy in that it should be fun, thus he uses hula hoops, which also targets the core.  When I worked out years ago, it was never a chore, but felt like recess to me--and I want to return to that outlook once I can get to the point when I can incorporate jump roping and hula hoops into my work out.  Do any of you do jump roping or hula hooping?  Can you share with me your experience, progress and successes?  I see that this forum seems to be heavily focused on running and would like to hear about other types of actitivites. 

Kim S.
on 6/24/12 11:50 pm - Helena, AL

There are many folks on this board that do much more than running-but we do seem to talk about it the most!

Your trainer is right-find what you like to do.  Do not waste time on doing things you don't like. I get bored easily, so I have to have several options depending on my mood.  I hike, run, speed walk, yoga, boot camp and P90X. 

Your trainer is also right about focusing on the core strength.  It is the springboard to all ofher muscle development and is where you really notice the most benefit from muscle conditioning. 

My advice is this:  try everything!  You never know what you may like or dislike until you try it!!

Have fun!

Sue M.
on 6/25/12 2:34 am - Nantucket, MA
 Thank you for this.  I keep forgetting to try jump roping, and I really want to!  I think I even have one, which is why it's so frustrating that I haven't done it yet.  One of my neighbors does it.

I definitely advocate doing anything that you ENJOY!  Running/walking/biking are natural fits for me because I like to fit exercise into my day - I have run many errands and taken myself to many fun places in the midst of my exercise.  

Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
Feather_Fluff
on 6/25/12 2:07 pm - San Francisco, CA
VSG on 02/15/12
Kim, thanks for the vote of confidence in my trainer.  Each week, I am feeling stronger.  And Sue, glad to have been of help in reminding you of the jump rope option.   Best wishes!

LJ1972
on 6/26/12 2:28 am - FL
My trainer has made it her personal goal to teach me to jump rope lol.
Find what you enjoy and just MOVE
Most Active