Couch to 5k

Dot T.
on 6/21/12 10:40 am - Bartlesville, OK
 I just started Couch to 5k app this week.  I'm looking for someone else just starting a running routine.  I'm also doing strength training on my off days because with my weight loss, I also lost a lot of muscle :-(
Dot T.
on 6/21/12 10:52 am - Bartlesville, OK
 Also, I would like input on what to eat as a runner.  Should I up my calories?  Should I up my protein?
mcarthur01
on 6/22/12 12:11 am - Cumming, GA
lots and lots of people on this board have used that program.  i didn't, simply because by the time i had heard of it, it was able to run 3 miles.  i'm sure some of the c25k vets will chime in.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

KatCooper
on 6/23/12 12:29 pm - Collierville, TN
 I used the program and I loved it.  I only did arms or walked on the days off.   I was really focusing on getting in the 3 days a week.  I wanted to make that my routine and if I did to much, I dont know if I would have hung in there.  I wanted to focus on the running part.  I did not really up my calories until I hit over 3 miles, but I was already eating around 1200 calories and losing.  I am a year out from RNY and just about at goal.  I had to determine what my body needed.  If I found myself tired and cranky, I upped my protein and added some carbs for a week and would see where I would end up on the scale.  Then I put the scale away and just used my clothes.  I put on quite a bit of muscle running.  Except for the jiggly bits on my thighs, my legs really shaped up.    
I also would not worry about how fast your are running.  Do what you can when the voice says "run" and repeat a week or two if you need it.  It was easy to get frustrated at not running fast.  Or at least it was for me, but I am a SLOW (think cold molasses) runner/jogger.  But I ran a 10K this morningand  got there using that program.   Best of luck.  Make sure you go to a running store and get fitted for the right shoes.  VERY important.  It is not any more expensive to get them there.  You can order them from a discount store once you figure out what works best for you!!  :-)

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

Dot T.
on 6/26/12 1:39 pm - Bartlesville, OK
 I started the program on June 18.  I was fitted for proper running shoes w/ orthotics before I started.  I also bought good sports bras and proper attire.  Last year when I tried, I didn't have any of the above.  Needless to say, I didn't last long.  (the shorts I was wearing rubbed, the t-shirt was too hot, etc)

I am doing the program every other day and stretching it out based on what the guy at the running store told me.  They do a group program there that is 12 weeks and he says that if you stretch it out like that, there are fewer injuries.  So far, I've done 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 x 2 and tonight I did 2.1.  He recommended doing weeks 3, 4, 5, and 6 for two weeks each to stretch it out, so I think that's what I'm going to do.

I'm running outside in the late evenings, and it was so hot tonight!  I completed the entire time, but didn't jog the entire time I was supposed to on a couple of the rounds...  So, I'm going to repeat 2.1 again until I'm able to do it "properly."

I'm not increasing my calories as of yet, but I am doing better on my protein.  I did some lunges yesterday, and I really felt my legs today!  It felt good!  I also did some "majorly modified" push ups and some tummy exercises.  I have a Jillian Michaels toning video I plan to do every other day and do the c25k run the opposite days.

Trust me, I'm not worried about speed at this time!  If I can "do it" I'm tickled pink!  lol

Thanks for the encouragement!  I'm gonna do it!

dawney
on 6/24/12 3:16 pm
I'm starting Couch to 5K this week. Would love to have a running partner here.  I currently swim 3 days a week and walk at lunch at work.  I'm currently in a stall (6 weeks, arg!!!) but I keep my eye on the prize, and keep pushing.  I know it will come off.  

Hopefully we can get a few other running buddides to join us.  
Dawn A Boesch    
Dot T.
on 6/26/12 1:41 pm - Bartlesville, OK
 Yeah, I'll be your running buddy!!  I just did week 2, day 1 tonight, but wasn't able to run the whole time each of the jogging times...  So, I'm going to repeat it again on Thursday.

Keep me posted on your progress and I'll do the same!
Sam LifeNerd
on 6/25/12 3:07 am, edited 6/25/12 3:07 am
 LOVE the program!!  I started it approx April 15th and took 6 weeks approx to do 5 weeks of the program.

Then I did a cross country "Mud Run" 5k, through the woods, jumping across creeks, was a TON of fun (Pics in my photos if you want to see them)

The Wed before that....I tried and successfully did the Week 5, Day 3 run where you jump from 8 minutes to "Run 20 minutes!!!"

After that success and the Mud run I decided to see what I could do and I jumped ahead in the program and ran 28 minutes... 2 days later I ran 35 minutes!!!!

Since then, over the last few weeks, I am running a couple days a week, and basically my "run" is now a 5k!!!

So I guess that means I graduated early!!  :)

It is an awesome feeling to see those times go up every week and hit your new goals!  Week 1, Day 1...I thought 60 seconds would NEVER end!!

GO FOR IT!!!

[EDITED to say...]  

Why am I not running more?  The answer is I started P90x 3 weeks ago, so that is an hour each morning and the days I do run I am working out 2-3 hours in a day!!)  

I decided that running is fun, but I want to be fit across MANY spectrums and I am not ready to train for a TRI at the moment!  (No place to swim)

Dot T.
on 6/26/12 1:44 pm - Bartlesville, OK
 I'm already signed up for a "fun run" in August, but it isn't timed or anything and most of my co-workers are just going to walk it...  So, we shall see what I can do by that time, but I'm not pushing myself at all.

There is another one in November that I would actually like to do a 10k.  We shall see...  I hope I keep it up and am able to do that one...  If not the 10k, I could sign up for the 5k.

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement!
kimberleyann
on 6/28/12 11:15 am - Kingston, NS, Canada
Tomorrow is my first 5K Run, I have just completed my 8 week C25k program and am nervous about doing the whole 5K as right now running 30minutes only gets me about 4.2k and I don't know if I can push all the way to 5k. I hope the adrenaline and crowd cheering me on will help me finish the whole thing running.  Good luck with your journey, the program certainly makes running 30 minutes in 8 weeks attainable.

Most Active