Help for new Exerciser

Technoqueen
on 6/19/12 4:26 am
I had RNY 1-17-12 and due to back disabilities and sciatic problems, I wasn't able to exercise until recently. I'm just starting to walk on the treadmill and it goes OK for about 5 minutes before my hip joints feel like they start pinching and burning. Is this something I can push my way past and walk longer each time till it no longer happens, or am I doing something wrong?

I started out @ 294.5 before surgery and it's been 5 months as of yesterday and I'm down to 197. I try to use the treadmill multiple times per day till I've gotten in at least 30 minutes or more in 5 to 8 minute segments. Should I walk a day and not a day for a while till I get used to it or what? I was totally sedentary before because of my medical conditions, but now I want to "MOVE" but I'd like to be wise about it and not wind up immobile again. Any advice would be a great help.

Technoqueen
acbbrown
on 6/19/12 9:06 am - Granada Hills, CA
I think you really need to talk to your doctor about whether your symptoms are something you should be pushing back - Id hate for anyone here to give you medical advice.

What about swimming or biking? Those will have much less impact on your joints and allow you to build some strength and then maybe you could incorporate walking in the future?

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Cyn9
on 6/19/12 1:53 pm - CA
VSG on 02/21/12
 you could see if your dr can send you to physical thearipy,  they can show you what will help you, and doing something different each day will help you recover, biking shouldnt hurt 

Technoqueen
on 6/19/12 8:27 pm
Hi
First I want to say thank you both for answering me. 
One thing I didn't think to say was that my treadmill is very old and that I sometimes have to "push" walk on it as it slows to a crawl no matter how high I set the speed.
After I wrote for help here I kept trying to use the treadmill and discovered that the pinching burning was going away.

I did talk to my doctor as well and he said get a new treadmill which I can't afford, or just go somewhere and walk. Since I don't tolerate heat so well, I opted to walk at the local hospital. It's indoors, temperature controlled, plenty of places to ge****er and rest if I need to, and has long ramps when I'm ready for inclines and lots of stairs, is flat, level, clean, brightly lit, and is open 24-7-365.
My husband has been my biggest support from the beginning but I've still been trying to do most of this on my own. Thank you for being there for me when I finally decided to reach out for help beyond what I knew.
Sincerely
Technoqueen

"It is never to late to be what you might have been." George Elliott
Sue M.
on 6/20/12 4:16 am - Nantucket, MA
 What a creative idea!

I often suggest mall walking to folks who are temperature sensitive and can't afford a gym membership (or aren't comfortable going to the gym).  The hospital is amazingly smart, especially for someone with a complicated medical history.

I would probably recommend ditching the treadmill that you have.  if you really have to push on it, you might actually injur yourself by having to make some unnatural movements to make it go - and you definitely don't want to lose your exercise momentum with an avoidable injury.

Keep the great work!
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
sfnativewm
on 6/20/12 3:28 am
I have bad sciatic problems here and there and a hip joint that sucks!!  Anyhow the dr has me using the exercise bike and not a treadmill.  Good luck!

~Ann~
Band removed and feeling alive with energy!

Technoqueen
on 6/20/12 4:38 am

Will be getting another shot for my Sciatic in July and another round of water therapy. For some reason I have trouble with the exercise bike.  I'm glad it works for you though.

I start tomorrow again walking at the hospital and today I did the home stairs 3 times to keep limber.  

Thanks again for everyone's support

Sincerely
Technoqueen 

"It is never to late to be what you might have become"  George Elliott
(deactivated member)
on 6/21/12 4:55 am
 Technoqueen, what kind of trouble are you having with the exercise bike?  They say it's a really good alternative to running/treadmill. It's really effective but the main thing is to hit your target heart rate.  The American heart association recommends aiming for just 50% of ur max heart rate if you're a newb to cycling.
Technoqueen
on 6/21/12 5:41 am, edited 6/21/12 5:42 am
I tried at a spa and wound up "Freewheeling" all the time. Since they closed I haven't found a bike that fits me. I did have a lot of trouble with my pain in my hips, so my Dr. suggested just walking which is what I'm doing now, and it's free.

Technoqueen
"It is never to late to be what you might have become"  George Elliott
SueBee01
on 6/23/12 11:27 am, edited 6/23/12 11:27 am - Orange Park, FL
Lap Band on 01/30/12
I have a lot of hip muscle problems too and did six weeks of aqua therapy prior to surgery and now I do water aerobics 2 days a week in a class and 3-4 days a week I do an hour in the pool on my own from learning at the aqua therapy.

The muscle pain comes and goes, but I have no pain while I am swimming, jogging, stretching, or jumping around in the pool.

Doing this and pedaling on my little pedal machine while on my sofa each night has gotten me down 80 pounds in almost 6 months.

I started playing golf again as I have been able to build up some muscles and hope one day to get back on. The tennis courts.
Good luck to you!
 Sue

Most Active