Where should I start?

ajsnbjs
on 6/18/12 12:21 pm - IA
VSG on 06/14/12
I am just 5 days out but I want to think positive and ahead. What exercises should I start out with? When should I start? What is a realistic goal for exercises? I would do the treadmill for .25 a mile in less than 8 minutes before surgery. So doing a 5K or something seems unrealistic to me.
Any advice?
tscasto
on 6/18/12 9:45 pm - Urbandale, IA
VSG on 03/22/12
Don't overdo it!!! that's 1st advice. Remember, you just had major surgery & your body needs to heal. Don't get down on yourself if you are tired very quickly either.

I would say the tredmill is good. Just take it slow & start with short distances. Walking is good for you & keeps the blood clots away so start now. just be realistic.
Tenille 

HW-248.8   SW-233.4  1M-216.2   4M- 188.6
mcarthur01
on 6/19/12 3:29 am - Cumming, GA
walking!  i walked every day for a half hour starting day 1 out of the hospital (and walked the halls while in the hospital).  i started off really slowly and not over doing it, but i walked for a half hour.  eventually started to go faster and then longer and then i graduated to other cardio equipment like the bike, elliptical, and then running.  strength training is key, it is the only sure fire way to increase your metabolism, i started strength training after i was cleared for all exercise by my doctor (which was at the 6 week mark for me).  best of luck!
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Cyn9
on 6/19/12 1:57 pm - CA
VSG on 02/21/12
 Walk   when i came home from hospital i would walk about 4 times a day  for ab can out 15 min.   and at a week or 2 i could walk to the park and around the park and headed home when i started feeling like i was running out of steam,  dr will tel you at about a month out u can do more, at a month i went to curves and this month i started a real gym...    dont hurt your self and get your naps.

Tonya S.
on 6/19/12 10:38 pm
My surgeon told me to walk. I did start slow- I always feel like CRAP after any surgery for several weeks.
I also joined the YMCA and walked in the pool! I walked back and forth in water about waist high while my son played in the pool. I think at about 6 weeks I added cardio machines on.

I too would like to run a 5k! I'm 2 years post op now though- still have 40 lbs on. I'm getting re-motivated to finish what I started!

" You will be safe in his arms, the hands that hold the world are holding your heart"
Most Active