XP - Food and Exercise

LJ1972
on 6/12/12 6:53 am - FL
So I totally washed out on the cardio portion of my workout with the trainer today. AGAIN.

The workout was around 1, around noon I had a couple ounces of rotisserie chicken, some green beans (about 1/4c or more) and a tablespoon of stuffing. I normally pass on the stuffing but decided that was a simple carb.  Was I wrong?

Or is it mental? How do I know the difference?  When my legs wear out I can push them further and know when enough is enough. But when I am short of breath how far do I push? I seem to have a 2 minute wall with my legs and once I push through I can push for a while.
   It seems to be about 2 minutes as well for my breathing to get labored, but I haven't been able to overcome that wall.  How far do I push?  Will different carbs make a difference?  Trainer suggested peanut butter on white bread toast  - to my horror!  :)

I am so frustrated and really kind of stranded in the "I suck" mud of self pity.

COURAGE TO START, STRENGTH TO ENDURE, RESOLVE TO FINISH 
                              HW 353 SW 317 Original GW 180  Current Wt  170 
                               First 5k 59:18; 5k PR 32:06;  1st 10k 1:20:27; PR 1:08:36
                                                    1st Half Marathon 2:48

Pensacola Double Bridge Run 15k- 1:47:34
                                                  Three Sprint Triathlons

hrford
on 6/12/12 6:58 am
VSG on 03/19/12
 Newbie here but I use milk for my carbs before a long workout.  I don't find I need anything in particular for a reguar work out up to an hour or so anything more than that and I'll have a half cup of milk about 1/4 hour before I work out.  Now any of my runs 3miles or more I always have a cup of milk with a tbsp of quick as my recovery drink.  Hasn't affected my weight loss and I no longer feel feint or nauseous after my runs.

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/
1st 5k: 5/12/12 44:55  PR 4miles: 12/31/2012 35:49

LJ1972
on 6/13/12 6:39 am - FL
Thanks!  I tried 1/2 a banana in my protein shake today and while I did feel a little more capable about 1/2 way through my mile, I paid dearly for the banana later in the day. At least it isn't immediate punishment!
Kim S.
on 6/13/12 2:14 am - Helena, AL
Is this a matter of you getting winded? 

If so, Google breathing while running to get some good tips on controlling your breathing....the same premise should work for any cardio activity.

I had a really hard time with my breathing and running.....once I learned to control it, I had much more energy to complete my workouts.

And YOU DO NOT SUCK!  At least you are out there doing it!!

LJ1972
on 6/13/12 6:42 am - FL
Thanks.... I tend to get really furious with myself for not knowing the limits of "quitting" and "taking care of me".  Still dont' know where the line is drawn, honestly.

Yes, I get completely winded....
My trainer says she noticed I kind of hold my breath. I breathe according to counting my steps (inhale 4, exhale 3) but I am so self conscious about how hard / loud I breathe after just a few steps that I restrict air flow by trying to be "quiet".   She gave me a good  "talking to" and said Friday when we do speedwork she is going to give me tasks to make me breathe deep and loud.  Scary lol
Missey J.
on 6/16/12 3:41 am, edited 6/16/12 3:41 am - AZ
VSG on 08/27/12 with
When you see the lung doc ask about pursed lip breathing. I have CODP and alot of weight so even stairs are super hard. Since I started breathing like that I am doing really, really well.

Age 53, 5'2", HW 337, Pre OpW 312.5, SW ?, CW 286        
Most Active