Race Report-Trybee Island Sprint Triathlon

Jillian O.
on 6/11/12 12:07 am - Fort Riley, KS
Had a great time at the race yesterday, knew a lot of people racing so it was great to chat it up with buddies. Joel was my sherpa and was able to get lots of pics and videos. The ocean swim was shortened from 750 meters to 600 meters because the current changed and we were now swimming against it.

Water was 76 degrees, so wetsuit legal. I have been working on my swim a lot, and my very good friend and expert open water swimmer Jennifer has been working with me on my swimming. When I got in water deep enough to start swimming Jennifer was in my head. I calmed down, did my new stroke the way she taught me and remembered to kick. When I got out of the water I was worried I was way behind because I didn't see any other girls around me, but when I got to transitions there were lots of bikes still in transition, so I was confused. Joel later informed me that out of my swim wave, I was 5th or 6th out of the water, and the large pack was behind me in the water. This of course shocked me and I couldn't believe it after all the swim struggles I have always had. Swim time including long run up the beach was 15:26.

T1 wiggled out of the wetsuit, put on helmet and shoes, and headed to mount line. T1 was :50

12 mile bike. A week ago I got my Cobb Plus saddle, so now my inner thighs don't rub the saddle with every pedal stroke. I felt great on the bike because of this. There was a nice tail wind heading out to the turnaround point. I was effortlessly going 22 MPH. I have lived here long enough to know that a nice tailwind out would result in a headwind on the return trip back to the beach. As much as it was tempting to go all out in the headwind, I wanted something left to fight the headwinds on the return trip, so I stayed at 22 MPH. After the turnaround the headwind hit, but since I still had a lot left I was able to push and average 20-21 MPH all the way back to transition. Bike was 35:39 and was the fastest female bike split of the day.

T2 exchanged bike shoes for running shoes, exchanged helmet for running hat, grabbed race belt and put it on as I was leaving transition. T2 was :42

3.1 mile run. The run was a simple out and back through a neighborhood. Was nice to see some of the beach homes and vacation rentals. I had passed 2 girls at the beginning of the run and by the time I got to the water station at mile 1 they informed me I was the 3rd girl. I got butterflies in my stomach and was hoping I could hold on. Before the turnaround point, guys who were heading back after the turnaround were telling me I was in third. I held on best I could and it was enough, no women passed me and I crossed the finish line. Run time was 22:54

Total race time was 1:15:28. Hung out with Joel and chatted with other racers. Talked to a few interested people about Team RWB and what we do. They had a real podium for the awards ceremony, I placed 3rd female overall, the awards were beach towels with the race image printed on it, also got a bag full of Hammer Gels. This was an inaugural race and setup did a great job, I will be back next year.

Jillian
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran, Army Wife, 3x Ironman Finisher

mcarthur01
on 6/12/12 12:33 am - Cumming, GA
awesome job!  OA podium, that is so sweet!
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

hrford
on 6/12/12 12:41 am
VSG on 03/19/12
 That is REALLY AWESOME!  I love Tybee and it looks like you had a load of fun.

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/
1st 5k: 5/12/12 44:55  PR 4miles: 12/31/2012 35:49

Seht
on 6/12/12 2:25 am
Congrats on your success.

Thanks for sharing the report.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

acbbrown
on 6/12/12 12:50 pm - Granada Hills, CA
 You never cease to amaze me!!!  I can't imagine getting out of a wet suit in that kind of time!!  Great job with the swimming too :)

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

julesGA
on 6/12/12 10:30 pm - Brunswick, GA
 Way to go Jillian!  Congrats!

Most Active