Need some advice and probably some encouragement...

lesserman
on 6/9/12 8:08 am - Chicago, IL
I'm just over two months post-op and would like to start building muscle to more efficiently burn calories and in turn, excess fat...

I plan to enroll in TKD once I'm within range of my goal (which has yet to be determined) but for now, I'd like to begin to really develop my quads, calves, pecs, shoulders and biceps...is it as simple as working stairs and pushups into my routine?

Weight at Heaviest: 320 lbs. 
Weight at Surgery:
283.6 lbs.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion...

hrford
on 6/9/12 11:02 am
VSG on 03/19/12
 Ok, I'll let someone with more experience chime in on the workout regimine.  But as for building muscle, it's very hard to do on our minimum food intake this early out.  My goal right now (at 12 weeks) is to lose as little as possible.  We won't need as much muscle mass because we weigh less but I'd like to keep as much of mine as I possibly can.  I can't recommend getting a personal trainer, even if you can only afford it once or twice, enough.  They can really help you see; 1) how much harder you really can push yourself than you think and 2) give you a good base for how to work the different muscle groups. 

I'm super lucky in that my surgery comes with a personal trainer and he's been invaluable!

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/
1st 5k: 5/12/12 44:55  PR 4miles: 12/31/2012 35:49

Lifztooshort
on 6/9/12 11:23 pm
Hey, you can do whatever your body let's you do.  Remember to stay focused on protein and you must get good carbs in.  I speak from experience...
I am a 44yo female and had RNY on June 7, 2011.  I was 258 at surgery and had not been working out for over a year.  I started Basic Law Enforcement Training on Sept. 12.  For 9 months, I did PT 3-4 times a week.  This was quite intense especially in the beginning.  Most of our workouts were running (2-4 miles), crossfit type stuff, insanity workouts and lots of pushups and situps.  I was initially tested in a physical assessment (using Cooper fitness norms) based on 1RM max benchpress, 1.5 mi run, 300 meter sprint, P/U in min and S/U in min.  I started at 49% and graduated top in my class with 94.3%.  I could not pass POPAT (Police Officers Physical Abilities Test) in the beginning.  I finished at 6:05 (must be completed in 7:20).  I was sleep deprived and pushed to the limit.  I still have lost weight and gained muscle.  I graduated on May 23 and now weigh 168.  I believe I could lost more but would not have changed my choice to go through the course.  Push ups will definitely do a lot for your arms.  Believe me I have gotten more compliments on my arms than anything.  I already had muscular legs and the running only helped.  The one thing that has been a struggle is getting enough fuel in for the intense workouts.  I use the gels and such to help.  It helped me to get in whole grains at breakfast and lunch to fuel my PT which was at 5 pm everyday. 
I also have a base in personal training and many hours spent reading before and since surgery.  There is still so much we do not know about exercise and WLS.  I don't have all the answers but believe that you can push yourself to incredible things post WLS.  Check out the Facebook group  WLS Distance Athletes.  That is the group that confirmed I wasn't off base using the gels and such because so many on there have stated they have had to do the same.  
Best wishes and shoot for the moon!  There are WLS athletes out there completing everything from 5Ks to Ironmans.  You can do whatever you set your mind and body to...  Just keep reading and learning from others.  The information is all over the internet.
Zan (Zan Perry on FB)   
Zan - Life's too short...        
Believe in yourself and seek clarity.  Be your own advocate because it is your life and your body.

Lifztooshort
on 6/9/12 11:49 pm, edited 6/9/12 11:56 pm
Lesserman,
I just thought about something else as I was reading some other posts. Not trying to step on toes but do not compare yourself to others and how much they have lost. If someone has WLS and just walks everyday, they will not build much muscle. That is compared to someone adding in compound exercises like push ups, squats, etc. Plus some folks have never exercised in their lives prior to surgery and may have no muscle in comparison to others who may have been active before surgery. I see many people on here that tear the scales up but if you notice, intense exercise is not their usual workout. If you are maintaining and/or adding muscle the scale may not budge at times. If you pay attention to your clothes, the inches will be falling off. I have had several stalls for weeks in which I lost several inches in my waist. Some folks will never push themselves to the point that a Crossfit workout pushes one. It is not for everybody but the benefits of intense workouts are mush greater than just exercising as some do. Couch to 5K is a great way to get into running. Or read some John Bingham books. He wrote the book, "No Need for Speed." Great book. He has a page on FB too. Running may be initially intense but gets easier the more you do it. My best advice is do something every day and try to get in 2-3 days of reistance training of some sort. If you can find a Boot Camp group or something like that, a trainer can always push you. PT did that for me. And I now do a Boot Camp workout every Wednesday. I have also ran over 6 miles at my best and I couldn't run a 1/4 mile in the beginning. Even ran an 8:23 mile which is pretty good for an "old woman" who is still considered overweight. Ok, I have rambled enough. Send me a PM if I can help in any way.
Go for it! You will amaze yourself!
Zan
Zan - Life's too short...        
Believe in yourself and seek clarity.  Be your own advocate because it is your life and your body.

oceanstar2
on 6/11/12 5:09 am - CA
first of all congradulations for going to have the surgery! you did the most important thing! now u have to do  the next most important thing and that is to EAT the right things! NEVER cheat i know easier said than done but trust me its totally worth it! I had surgery in 2010 and lost over 115 pds and i feel so much better. your two months put so take it slow do a few minutes of excerise dont overwhelm yourslef walk as much as you can! I had a back problem and injury and thats why i had to have surgery i went in to surgery at 260 so i lost half of my body but i couldnt excerise and still cannot all i can do is walk! and only a little but because of what i eat i have kept it off and i lay down and i do leg excerises and i do stomach excerises so i do all i can to help myself. take it slow dont over push yourslef! if u eat lots of proteins you will keep losing weight drink lots of protein shakes its all in what you put into your mouth! i encourage you to take it slow really each day do a bit more walk up stairs if u can. I cannot but if u can it tightens the butt and quads but be careful and remember PROTEIN PROTEIN thats how all teh movie stars get the weight off quick and dont have surgery so we are one ahead of them we had the miracle surgery so you can do it and you will !!!!!!! stick to your diet well i hate that word diet its a new way of eating adn u will get used to it and itw ill eb normal after awhiel! if u need to talk let me know?
Most Active