I joined a Tri training group!!!

LJ1972
on 5/31/12 9:44 am, edited 5/30/12 9:45 pm - FL
I can't believe it, but I did it!! I joined a local group called "Mere Mortals". They pair up experienced triathletes with noobs like me and train every Sunday morning out at the Gulf. It starts June 10 and ends with the Santa Rosa Island Sprint Tri - 600yd open water swim (Gulf of Mexico, weather permitting; bay otherwise), 18mile bike, 5k run.

I manage my 200yds in a pool, but I am scared to death of being with REAL athletes and swimming for the first time in the Gulf. I haven't even been to the beach voluntarily for about 10yrs!!

So before training I have to buy a bike helmet, lock and a swim cap. They want you to be able to swim 200yds (got it in the pool), bike 20-45min (can do) and run / walk 2miles (fine). I am a total wallflower and socially inept, so having to perform in front of people I want to "please" and knowing I can't perform up to standard is freaking me out!!!

Anyway.... totally off the rails there - this post is really to ask for suggestions on my individual workouts and those with my trainer. I am following a tri training program I found on trinewbies.com and my trainer does total body strength training and cardio. Should we just keep on keeping on, or is there somethign specific I should tell my trainer I want to work on?

this is the group training schedule
http://trigulfcoast.org/mere-mortals/

COURAGE TO START, STRENGTH TO ENDURE, RESOLVE TO FINISH 
                              HW 353 SW 317 Original GW 180  Current Wt  170 
                               First 5k 59:18; 5k PR 32:06;  1st 10k 1:20:27; PR 1:08:36
                                                    1st Half Marathon 2:48

Pensacola Double Bridge Run 15k- 1:47:34
                                                  Three Sprint Triathlons

Gypsyw0lf
on 6/1/12 4:55 am - Regina, Canada
 Oh my goodness this is so awesome!  I've totally set a goal to do a full ironman in two years...I figure I can do some half tri's next year since I still have a ways to go.  I would love to find a program here that was similiar.  

I think you will do awesome, other than that I have no advice for you!

Gypsy
DANCBJAMMIN
on 6/1/12 6:33 am - Fort Worth, TX
Thats so awesome!!! beginertriathlete.com has plenty of free training schedules and suggestions. Check it out and best of luck. You will rock it!!!st advice I ever recieved... Train hard, train smart, and MOST importantly... HAVE FUN!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

LJ1972
on 6/1/12 7:44 am - FL
thanks!

I emailed the guy over the group just to check on ideas to compliment the training and he was super nice and encouraging. Told me not to be intimidated because there are tons of folks to help - Ironman finishers, a former Olympic swimmer and National USAT coaches! (I thought he was trying to HELP my intimidation, not feed it?)

Bought my bike helmet and a swim cap today. Group training starts 6/10 with a swim in the bay.
julesGA
on 6/2/12 6:16 am - Brunswick, GA
 Wow, what an awesome opportunity!  Have fun and please keep us posted!  :)

LJ1972
on 6/2/12 1:02 pm - FL
Can I just tell you they have already made me feel more at ease, and I haven't met anyone?
I received several welcome emails, as well as their last 2 newsletters. I am stoked!
John V.
on 6/4/12 1:38 pm - MN
 Wow!  That sounds amazing!  I've got my first sprint scheduled for August 4 and would love a group like that, but would be right there with you and a bit nervous/excited.  :)

You're gonna do great!
 HW:  280  /  SW: 250  /  GW#1: 175  /  GW#2: 160  /  GW#3: 150 / CW: 147.8    
 Includes 30 lbs lost pre-surgery.    
LJ1972
on 6/4/12 2:32 pm - FL
Thanks! 
  I am already crazy with nerves and have a few days to go!  Today I was swimming and started wearing down before I did 200yds and all I could think was of someone having to haul me in from the Gulf!
  I posted about one of the participants they are expecting is a former Olympic swimmer? I left out that they are an Olympic medalist!  Can't wait to see if they are there and who it is..... and if they can help me at all!
Most Active