Cycling

(deactivated member)
on 5/28/12 7:10 am
Any reccomendations for a beginning cyclist?  I would need to buy everything.  What would you suggest and how much am I looking at spending?
cabin111
on 5/28/12 10:17 am

My 2 cents.  Look for a cheap used bike or borrow from a friend or neighbor.  See if you like riding first.  Go to quiet area such as a local high school, college or park.  Try riding there to start.  I would go to Google Maps...Type in your home town.  Then go to traffic and click downward from there.  You will find on the list "bicycles".  click on that and it will give you the local bike routes in your town.  If you want to continue go to a local bike shop to get fitted for a bike in your price range.  Buy a good (expensive) lock and be sure to lock both front and back tires (including the frame).  I would get a cheap helmet and buy a better one if you take up the activity more seriously.  Enjoy the ride.  PS  I was riding yesterday and saw some local graduation celebrations at the local park...They were given bicycles for presents!!  Way cool... 

(deactivated member)
on 5/29/12 11:43 pm
Very cool.  Thank you for your in$0.02 --very much appreciated!
Jillian O.
on 5/28/12 10:59 am - Fort Riley, KS
Need to know what you are trying to achieve? Just want to commute on a bike? Go on group rides? Ride trails? Race in triathlons? Many different bikes and gear for these very different types of riding

Jillian
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran, Army Wife, 3x Ironman Finisher

(deactivated member)
on 5/29/12 11:44 pm
None of the above?  A different form of fitness would be what I'm trying to achieve.  I've been running for almost 3 years now and I'm looking to try out something new.
Lowcountry
on 5/28/12 9:21 pm - Lady's Island, SC
I'm a beginner biker too. I would suggest you go to a local bike shop and at least get fitted. This way as your looking for a bike you'll have a very good idea of what size to look for. I found my bike on Craigslist. It's a Hybrid bike so it's in between a mountain bike and a road bike. I got an awesome deal for it. New it would have been $800 and I got it for $175. Keep in mind if you get a used bike you will want to take it to the local bike shop for a "tune up". My tune up cost $60.

I agree about going somewhere wide open and without to many eyes on you for your first few rides. You will be shaky at best but it will come back to you in short order. Happy searching then riding.

You find that you have peace of mind and can enjoy yourself, get more sleep, and rest when you know that it was 100% effort that you gave --win or lose.
-Gordie Howe

(deactivated member)
on 5/29/12 11:45 pm
Thank you!!  Great suggestions.  Lots of bike shops around here.  I will go "interview" them! 
Most Active