Joined the gym today!

Solstyce
on 5/28/12 4:45 am - WA
VSG on 02/18/12 with
I haven't truly worked out since high school which was 15 years ago- UGH! I was an athlete back then, played high level softball across the US, weight trained, etc. I could seriously kick some ass!
I'm a little past 3mo post op VSG and I'm wanting to get back in the saddle again now that I have some weight off.

I've emailed a vet here on OH who exercises a lot with questions about how did they start? How many times a week did you exercise and what type of exercise did you do? What did you eat before or after to fuel your body that still fits into our dietary program?

I'd really appreciate any input to the above questions. I'm excited to feel strong, lean and physically capable of doing anything I want again!

HW: 286  Consult: 276  SW:265   Pre-op: -11   1Mo -27  2Mo -11  3Mo -15  4Mo -6 (stall
UGH!)  5Mo -12
LJ1972
on 5/28/12 5:36 am, edited 5/28/12 5:36 am - FL
how did they start?
  I am the least motivated person in the world on STARTING, once I get going I roll fine.  So I started with a personal trainer 1x a week for 30 min and had a workout buddy. 

How many times a week did you exercise and what type of exercise did you do?
Starting out I exercised about 4 days a week -  3 gym and 1 with the trainer. Now I workout 5 days a week, sometimes 2x a day. Biking, walking, swimming, strength training (muscle burns calories at rest!) 

What did you eat before or after to fuel your body that still fits into our dietary program?
  I just had a protein shake w/ 1/2 a banana for a really long time before working out, because I worked out early in the morning and didn't want breakfast food on my stomach.  I still do a shake before early morning workouts, afternoon training I just eat normal.  The morning session with my trainer and the Thursday spin class both lead straight into a very long day at work, so I usually have a 1/4 - 1/2 peanut butter sandwich on P28 protein bread after.  
Solstyce
on 5/28/12 11:07 am - WA
VSG on 02/18/12 with
 Thank you, I appreciate the input! I'll talk to the gym and see what the trainer costs are- I'd like someone to help develop a plan then meet with once a week to gauge progress and keep accountable. 

HW: 286  Consult: 276  SW:265   Pre-op: -11   1Mo -27  2Mo -11  3Mo -15  4Mo -6 (stall
UGH!)  5Mo -12
LJ1972
on 5/28/12 11:49 am - FL
if you go with a trainer, see if they do measurements etc.... those have been absolutely invaluable to me!!
Lucky2talk2
on 5/28/12 1:00 pm - Renton, WA
I joined a gym one week ago today! I love it. I to have a personal trainer, I log e erything I eat, she is giving me a meal plan of best things to eat and when. I came to a point I needed to add the weight training with my cardio. In the last week I have lost 9 lbs. I feel great and love this so much!!!

You can and will do great!!!

MAKE IT A GREAT DAY!!         SHERRIE <3

Solstyce
on 5/28/12 1:17 pm - WA
VSG on 02/18/12 with
 The funny thing is we're at the gym, signed up, started playing racquetball for literally 30 seconds then power goes out and ten minutes later they make us all leave!!! Ggggrrr! So came home and did yoga and heading out for a walk now.

Your 9lbs is aaaahmazing! Woot woot! 

UGH!)  5Mo -12
julesGA
on 5/28/12 11:30 pm - Brunswick, GA
On May 28, 2012 at 8:00 PM Pacific Time, Lucky2talk2 wrote:
I joined a gym one week ago today! I love it. I to have a personal trainer, I log e erything I eat, she is giving me a meal plan of best things to eat and when. I came to a point I needed to add the weight training with my cardio. In the last week I have lost 9 lbs. I feel great and love this so much!!!

You can and will do great!!!
 Just wanted to commnent on your weightloss!  Amazing!  

julesGA
on 5/28/12 11:29 pm - Brunswick, GA
 I joined a gym and hired a personal trainer about a month before my surgery.   We started on cardio and weights right away - I went 3x week.    My beginning cardio was walking on the treadmill. 

I still see him 3x week for weight training (I really could do that on my own but I love my trainer and he keeps me accountable and pushes me).  I pretty much handle my own cardio now - I have started C25K and ride my bike 1-2 days a week.  

IF I haven't had anything to eat 2-3 hrs prior to my workout I will have a protein snack with a few carbs (peanut butter, hummus, etc)   I workout at 7pm so I rarely eat afterwards but I always have  a protein shake for recovery. 

Enjoy embracing your inner athlete!  It is exhilarating! 

Most Active