I saw the urologist today...A bit of a repost...

cabin111
on 5/22/12 9:49 am, edited 5/21/12 9:54 pm
Yeah, your saying "big woop". I showed him a copy of different bicycle seats, the ones designed for better protection and prevention of bladder stones. He thought all the ones I showed him looked good and should help. In the post below I will show you the seats I showed him. Also below is a copy and paste I posted last year at this time. Those of you who bike, just be aware of kidney and bladder stones esp if you have high uric acid (or gout). Brian PS I've also heard cherries are good for bladder infections...

Bike Riding & Bladder Irritation

Bike Riding & Bladder Irritation Bike Riding & Bladder Irritation

Jupiterimages/Brand X Pictures/Getty Images

Bike Riding & Bladder Irritation

Overview

Bike riding is considered to be a healthful way to benefit from exercise that puts minimal strain on the joints of your body. In addition, biking outdoors will boost vitamin D production for healthy bones and a stable mood. However, bike riding is not without negative elements, and like any sport, it is important to understand how you might injure yourself while participating. One of the most common of negative impacts related to bike riding beside accidental falls is the possible occurrence of bladder infections. Should you develop a bladder infection from riding your bike, consult with your doctor to deal with the infection right away.

Bike Seats

Bike seats can place undue pressure upon the delicate urethra, especially in women. This pressure can promote irritation, inflammation and infection, which can lead to painful and frequent urination. Unchecked, this type of infection can travel to the kidneys, which can be quite dangerous. To reduce the pressure on your urethra while bike riding, it may be advisable to purchase a bike seat that boasts additional padding and a wider girth for additional support. A wider seat allows pressure to disperse throughout the muscles where you sit instead of focusing all weight between the legs and on the urethra. Memory foam seats can reduce pressure points and may be helpful in reducing pressure on the urethra as well.

Chico Mountain Bike Shop Stop By Our Bike Shop For A Wide Range Of Bikes At Discounted Rates! www.ChicoCyclesport.net/BicycleShop Sponsored Links

Duration

People who enjoy long bike rides spend more time in a position. which may compromise urethra health. After reducing risk for bladder infections with a more forgiving bike seat, the second factor you must consider is duration of biking time. For long bike rides, you may wish to shift position periodically to ensure you are resting primarily on your gluttious maximus muscles rather than leaning forward into the seat as you ride. Reducing pressure time is key to preventing irritation and infection.

Friction

Rough terrain is another factor in impacting the urethra tissue. When mountain biking or covering rough patches, elevate your body from the seat slightly to reduce jarring to delicate tissue.

Prevention

Drinking enough water when biking will help to keep fluids moving through the body, which will reduce bacterial buildup. In addition, if you are prone to bladder infections, it may be beneficial to drink at least 1 glass unsweetened cranberry juice daily. Cranberries contain a slippery alkaloid, which prevents bacteria from clinging to to walls of your urethra and bladder. This preventative technique can also be used while treating an infection to promote healing and fast recovery. Sweetened cranberry juice has significantly less benefit because sugar feeds bacterial growth, which may defeat the purpose when trying to prevent or heal infection.

cabin111
on 5/22/12 9:53 am

Another grab from the internet...No endorsement...But I may get something like these...
Here's a list of manufacturers that are selling some of these ergonomic bike seats on the internet:

1. Airbunz
  2. Specialized - Body Geometry Bike Saddles
  3. Spongy Wonder

Specialized™ Bike Seat

Designed by Roger Minkow, M.D.

Relevant Anatomy

Spongy Wonder™ Bike Seat

AeroSaddle™

AirBunz™
Sue M.
on 5/23/12 4:16 am - Nantucket, MA
 Thanks for posting... I wonder if I'm not going to require a "special" seat one of these days due to my excess skin anatomy, and of course, I don't want to damage any of my internal systems!
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
Most Active