Leg Fatigue

LJ1972
on 5/20/12 7:55 am - FL
 I work out 2x a week (tuesday and Friday)  for an hour each time with a personal trainer. She shows no mercy and they are very tough workouts.  Usually total body, sometimes she mixes it up to mainly upper or mainly lower. 
  Thursdays I do a 30 minute spin class.  At least 1, usually 2, Saturdays a month I participate (walk /jog) in a 5k.   I help my bedridden mom with a lift (putting her in her wheelchair, recliner, etc) and I have a small "hobby farm" I am responsible for.
  I work on the 3rd floor and used to take the 4 flights of stairs to work and also coming back from my lunch break. Then the leg fatigue started, so I just did 2 flights. The leg fatigue kept up so I take the elevator. 

My trainer recommended a few days rest, hot soaking baths and BioFreeze. It helped so occasionally I take stairs, but not generally.  

All of this has a point - my legs are absolutely fatigued to the point of uselessness. I had my 2 personal training sessions,  and a 5k week before last, and last week I had my training sessions on Tuesday / WEdnesday and Spin on Thursday, then 5k on Saturday. 
  My trainer said we'll do mainly upper body this week.

What else can I do?  I want to do a Sprint Triathlon in October, but my legs just give out on me so easily.   Would a foam roller help any? 

My logic says increasing activity would help push to more endurance - but I just can't explain how weak my legs are (quads shake stepping in the tub)

COURAGE TO START, STRENGTH TO ENDURE, RESOLVE TO FINISH 
                              HW 353 SW 317 Original GW 180  Current Wt  170 
                               First 5k 59:18; 5k PR 32:06;  1st 10k 1:20:27; PR 1:08:36
                                                    1st Half Marathon 2:48

Pensacola Double Bridge Run 15k- 1:47:34
                                                  Three Sprint Triathlons

Paul C.
on 5/20/12 8:23 am - Cumming, GA
Endurance format sessions would probably help but along with doing endurance sessions you need to have time allotted for recovery. It sounds like you get a lot of leg work on between trainer and spin and everything. Maybe a few day****ting the pool, after all in a tri ya gotta swim!

Find a balance that works and gives your legs the time they require to recover. Not allowing recovery will lead to injury, and take it from me you don't want to be in that spot.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
LJ1972
on 5/20/12 9:39 am - FL
Thanks... I actually have access to a pool at my parent's house and have started trying to swim a couple days a week. I was actually avoiding it because of my legs as well, but I guess that is more upper body and core, huh?

Yeah I get lots of leg work with the trainer - one leg day I did 28 flights of stairs (jog 4 flights, jog down, hop4 flights, jog down, every other step 4flts, jog down, sprint, repeat - except skip the jog up session) before the strength workout
Most Active