My first 5K and 10K Go Far Challenge at the Fargo Marathon

KatCooper
on 5/20/12 11:21 am - Collierville, TN

So this weekend was one of my first big goals.  I flew back to Fargo, ND for the Go Far Challenge at the Fargo Marathon.  It was a 5K Friday night and and 10k (my first) on Saturday.   I flew down on Thursday to visit with friends  and really enjoyed the evening. (May be a bit to much)  It was really super hot by Fargo standards 93 degrees for the 5K that night.  I opted to walk the 5K with friends because I want to come in under 1:30 for the 10K.  I am still struggling with time but I am getting fairly consistent with my pacing.   The 5K was great, but only becuase I have gotten used to the heat after living down south again. The course winds through the neighborhoods in Fargo and the marathon folks had contacted many of the home owners and asked them to turn their sprinklers on so the runners could run through.  It was a refreshing change.  I was a bit frustrated at the beginning due to the large amount of people. There were 9,500 people for the 5k.   Wow, it was packed.  You could hardly walk much less run. Lesson learned be in the front or in the back, but the middle sucks.

The 10K started at 7am on Saturday.  I hadn’t slept and was really tired, but determined.  The weather was stormy at first but the lightening stopped just before the race. It was really cool 50 degrees but it made it really nice once was got moving.  There were 2000 I think in the 10K.   I got a new SpiBelt that I love to keep my energy beans in and also hold my number.  It worked out really well.   I started out slow and honestly stayed in an absolute panic the first 2 miles.  I kept worrying about not going fast enough, going to slow, would I finish, what the hell was I thinking running with all of these people who are “runners"!!!!   I settled down at mile 2 and found my steady pace and was just determined to finish.  I stopped comparing myself to all the other "fast" people and just kept up my solid turtle pace.   I kept reminding myself I had run more than 6 miles in training and this was nothing I hadn’t done before.  The weather stayed cool but the headwind got rough toward the end.

The finish line was actually inside the FargoDome.  You got to watch yourself cross the finish line on the JumboTron.  But what made it amazing were the hundereds of people who were in the stands cheering you on.  It was like being a rock star!!!   I picked up my metals, got a banana and then had a complete breakdown.  It will be one year since my surgery in June and I was 320lbs.  This time last year, I was barely able to walk a 5k.  I had just run 6 miles.  6 miles.  I know I have goals of a ½ and eventually a full marathon but wow, I just ran 6 miles and didn’t die.  I actually felt great!  (well, my right knee was kinda pissed about the whole thing, but it is always *****y)  I have to keep reminding myself how far I have come when I am frustrated about being a slow runner and not progressing fast enough.   I have come along way.  Thanks in no small part to you guys here on this forum.  I am a 44 year old previously SMO obese woman who looks to you for your expertise, your guidance and am frequently in awe of your accomplishments.   But in the not to distant future, I am going to be “one of you"   J    Thank you as always for being there.

By the way, I finished under my goal of 1:30 at 1:26.   I was pretty tickled at that!!!

Kat

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

Kim Roan
on 5/20/12 11:51 am - Hardin, MT
Congratulations!  I have family living in Fargo and you have inspired me to get my butt in gear for next year :)
LJ1972
on 5/20/12 12:51 pm - FL
woo hooo!! Great job! Very inspiring.....
acbbrown
on 5/20/12 3:01 pm - Granada Hills, CA
 Way to go Kat!!!  I used to live there for a year when I was a kid...dont miss the place :-p

You will be running your half in no time!

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

kimberleyann
on 5/21/12 6:22 am - Kingston, NS, Canada
Wow congrats! I am only just starting my 4th week of C25K training and will be doing my first 5K end of june. Thanks for showing us newbies it can be done.

Jillian O.
on 5/21/12 8:00 am - Fort Riley, KS
Wow! Just amazing! That finish line sounds amazing! Congrats! Bask in it! Love having you here, you have been a great addition to the forum

Jillian
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran, Army Wife, 3x Ironman Finisher

jamiemariep
on 5/21/12 10:05 am
What an awesome experience! So motivating for sure!
mcarthur01
on 5/22/12 4:25 am - Cumming, GA
you just did a 5k and then a 10k the next morning (beating your goal).... what do you mean "in the not too distant future"?  you are one of us now.  congrats!
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

KatCooper
on 5/23/12 6:01 am - Collierville, TN
 Aww, thanks!  In my mind I have this goal of a 10-12 minute mile and then I will be a runner.  Maybe silly, but I am just so stinking slow!!!  I am getting there, and I know it is a matter of time.  I guess its the competitive side of me that thinks jogging doesnt really count.  :-)  Got to Run!!!  LOL.  Thanks again though!

Kat

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

JsSkinnyMom
on 5/22/12 10:46 am - Youngsville, LA
Very inspiring story! Good job on your races!
 J's Skinny Mom  

HW 238 / SW 235 / CW 120  
Most Active