Workout motivation--or lack thereof HELP!

rjsams
on 5/18/12 1:37 am - Eagan, MN
Lately, I just feel bleh.  I can't seem to summon the motivation for my exercise routine.  I wish I knew what was wrong, and could get my mojo back.  Help!

I ran a PR in a 5K about a month ago, achieving the goal I set for the year of running a 5K in less than 30 minutes.  (28:27, yay!).  The following week I ran my first half-marathon, achieving my goal time of 2:20 (2:19, yay!).  That was almost three weeks ago now, and I can't seem to get back into the groove.

I haven't done a run over 5 miles since the half, and it seems like pulling teeth to get my butt out the door.  I have other races on the calendar, so I should have motivation.  I've been trying to take my vitamins more consistently, in case that's the problem. 

Ideas?  Inspiration?  Help!

LJ1972
on 5/18/12 10:48 am - FL
maybe try something differen't ? swimming, biking?
A. Watson
on 5/18/12 10:06 pm
RNY on 08/07/12

I have a few suggestions:

Try using an iPod or mp3 player with motivational music ( I have found that Pandora radio has some work out stations that help with work out music suggestions)

Maybe there is someone nearby that you can join you in work outs and/or running.

Incorporate other activities other than running, or do running intervals.

You could also join in some local volunteering for causes in your area. We have softball, soccer, kickball etc. where I live for fundraisers for cancer, Alzheimer, arthritis, or if you have little ones getting others involved in play dates, etc.

Motivation I find comes from if you know you are going to have fun. Working out every day isn't always fun, unless you make it that way.

I wish you luck, and please keep us posted!

alpal1015
on 5/18/12 10:04 pm - Manalapan, NJ
Have you had your bloodwork done lately? Maybe you are low on iron or B12. I know when my iron gets low (which is pretty frequently), it makes it much harder to get my but moving. BTW - congrats on all your accomplishments.
JsSkinnyMom
on 5/19/12 6:02 am - Youngsville, LA
I have trouble staying motivated too. I try to always have a race event on the calendar to keep me active. It helps. A friend of mine recently started running though and is in great shape. It pushes me to keep working hard since I don't want her to blow me out the water with her times. It also makes it funner when she and I can make a weekend date to do our long weekend runs together. Maybe a workout buddy or some friendly competition would get your mind back in the game. Oh, I also made a little group on FB where my friends and I post our workout journals, questions, pics, advice, etc. That keeps me active too. I would be too embassased to post any less than a certain amount of runs per week and a certain amount of miles.
 J's Skinny Mom  

HW 238 / SW 235 / CW 120  
Most Active