Bodybuilding

LuckyBella
on 5/14/12 12:04 pm
Hi Everyone!

I am really interested in bodybuilding. Does anyone cyrrently bodybuild, either for fun or competitively? I am a 29 year old woman, had RNY 2 years ago and am down about 100 pounds. I'd like to lose a bit more but really want a lean, strong, muscular physique.

Any advice on how to start?!
Earl C.
on 5/15/12 11:40 am - Circleville, OH

Bodybuilding is about feeling the muscle work and time under tension (higher reps). I think you need more volume (more sets) than training for general health and sports. When lifting for sports it’s about moving the weight from point A to point B, but for bodybuilding you really have to pay attention to how things feel. Slow the movements down so you have more time under tension. You build more muscle lowering a weight than raising a weight, so slow down on the negative stroke. It’s not rocket science, but staying strict with your form and learning to feel the muscle working and try to train heavy as you can in the 6-12 rep range, sometimes going into the 15 – 50 rep range. Bodybuilders are always “chasing the pump". Oh…protein, protein, protein.

Kim S.
on 5/15/12 11:58 pm - Helena, AL
What Earl said.....

And I'll add this:  higher weight and enough reps so the last 3 are hard got me great results.  You really do need to put 95% of the effort into proper form and S L O W I N G down.  Watch the muscle as you are working it. 

The muscles you worked should be sore the next few days after a proper workout.

Most Active