Strength Training

friendlyfire
on 5/10/12 1:13 pm
VSG on 03/12/12
I talked with a fitness trainer today, and he said that cardio was great but in order to move past those plateus I need to get in some strength training too. I can't really afford a personal trainer at this point in my life, but does anyone know if another program is just as effective such as P90X?
“I can do all this through him who gives me strength.? Philippians 4:13 (NIV)          
Krazydoglady
on 5/10/12 11:14 pm - FL
Strength workouts make all the difference in the world. I've lost 162lbs and almost all of it is fat.  I lost very little lean mass having done strength training since 3 months post-op. My metabolic testing has been consistently good. 

I work with a trainer, but I also am a big fan of Oxygen magazine. JMO, but I think it's probably the best fitness magazine for women, and it has great strength workouts, recipes, etc.  Part of the magazine's focus is on fitness competitors, and I find that the advice, workouts, and clean-eating focus really helpful to me in maintenance. 

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

Sam LifeNerd
on 5/11/12 3:14 am
Bodyweight exercises are great and cheap!  They are much tougher than you think too!!  I am struggling with pushups right now and have to do incline pushups instead.

P90x I believe is really just a forerunner of "cross training" which is to say, try new/different stuff constantly to keep your body from getting into a routine.  I am not an expert, but the theory appears to be sound.

Tons of routines out there for free to try, lots of local parks have these workout stations on the trails so you walk or jog for a bit, then do a routine and then walk/jog to the next station, etc.

Trainer was right, cardio burns fat / helps to boost metabolism, but muscle burns energy all day / all night and is just a good idea.  (Doing both is the best idea naturally)

http://greatist.com/fitness/50-bodyweight-exercises-you-can-do-anywhere-030612/

alpal1015
on 5/11/12 10:06 pm - Manalapan, NJ
Just like you, I was all about cardio. After my surgery I became a runner and I did cardio stuff at the gym too. I recently started a fitness program that involves a bootcamp-type of workout. Lots of sit-ups, push-ups, jumping jacks and some light work with weights. I have to say I cannot believe the transformation in my body. Although I thought I was in "good shape," I couldn't believe how weak I was. I couldn't even do one real push-up. I am 7 weeks in, and I am actually on my way to a six-pack and my arms have some serious definition. I think that when you start exercising to try and lose weight, you focus on cardio to burn calories, but we ignore the fact that the more muscle we build, the more efficiently our bodies burn them. I highly recommend adding in the strength training. It's made a huge difference.
Earl C.
on 5/13/12 11:41 am, edited 5/13/12 11:42 am - Circleville, OH

I don't think, in this day and age, where you can watch almost any workout or exercise on your smartphone, that personal trainers are necessary. There are so many free websites too that offer lots of free good advice. You didn’t say where you’d train, but any good gym or YMCA will have trainers on hand to get your started for free. At the very least show you how to use different pieces of equipment.  If they don’t, I wouldn’t sign up there. Plus, people that train, love to share their knowledge. Just ask someone for help. Also, I saw another Post on here about Oxygen magazine…it is hands down the best magazine for women as far as real training and real dieting.

heathermc44
on 5/17/12 1:54 pm - Bremerton, WA
Our YMCA has a Women on Weights class where they take women through an entire routine.  It's generally twice a week for 4 weeks but helps get women past that intimidation phase.  I am a firm believer in weight lifting.  I have been doing it since I was 4 months out from surgery.  I have some really nice arm and back definition.  I'm really working on my legs as I would like to get rid of some of the jiggle.  

Most Active