My first TRI

jwc10s
on 5/9/12 5:08 am
Sorry for the delay in posting, I forgot until now that I had not posted to this site. The race was this past Sunday.

Okay, so first things first. I had a great time doing the triathlon. As a lot of you know it was my first TRI and I was extremely nervous about the swim. Having said that though on race day I was abnormally calm.

I got to the race about 5:30am after having a race day breakfast of 1/2 bagel with chunky peanut butter and a protein shake. Did my first ever transition setup thanks to some advice from a friend. Paul Corley and I actually were setup side by side without realizing what numbers had been assigned to us for the race. After setup we walked down to the pool and waited. I got in the and did a couple of warmup laps in the pool. Race announcements started to happen and they wanted us to start getting into a line for time trial start. Paul and I worked our way toward the front of the line, eventually I found a spot that I felt comfortable and Paul inched further forward. My turn to go, Paul was ahead of me, and I could see the delays in the water. So I breathed a sigh of relief that it wouldn't be me causing the delays. I sat at the edge of the pool and they said go. First mistake. I didn't start my watch. I'm in the water trying to keep a nice easy stroke and that lasted about a lap and a half. Until I ran into the foot of a woman that was doing a doggy paddle. I'm thinking to myself, "I appreciate your effort, but dang go to the back of the start line next time." So I fought with her trying to get past on and off at each end of the pool, she wouldn't let me by. Lanes were congested so until the last lap where it opened up a bit I had to be patient. So I was forced to spend most of my swim doing a breast stroke which took quite a bit out of me because it isn't a stroke I am comfortable with. I got through the swim. 

I can only approximate the swim time at 17 min. 

I hit the hill running into transition 1 changed into my bike gear and out of transition I went.

Approximate time in transition #1 was 5 min.

I'm on the bike and having a blast. The course had approximately 3,000 ft of elevation gain, over 14.5 miles and I was passing riders on both the down hills and uphills. I was able to keep cadence high and I know I was making up time. I cracked some jokes with volunteers about the hills as I rode passed and we had a laugh. The police did a fantastic job shutting down traffic intersections allowing me to keep on pedaling. I thanked everyone as I passed, and had a big smile on my face the whole ride although it was tough. Hell, i'm a shadow of my former self doing a triathlon, what the heck isn't there to smile about. I hopped off the bike headed into transition #2. 

Estimate my time at 55 minutes for the bike. 

I spent about 3 minutes in transition #2. 

I threw on a race shirt over my 2xu racing suit, my yankz laced Kinvara 2 running shoes, and my hat. Started off down the hill on a run, and noticed my legs getting into a groove and picked up the pace. The run section had more hills, and I was feeling pretty strong, but I walked one of the hills in order to take in some needed nutrition. Had a hand bottle so I kept sipping on the run and felt good with hydration. Toward the end of the run I saw Paul coming out of one of the turnarounds felt like I had made up some more time. I picked up the pace a little more and finished running, not quite a sprint, but not to far off. 

Estimated time for the run 28 minutes.

This gives me a total race time of 1 hr 48 min and 37 seconds, which was my total time.

After the race I had no stiffness, the day after I have no soreness or stiffness, but I am not sure during the event I could have given more. For my first TRI I am pleased with my effort, the education received, the people I met, and of course my friends who have gone before me providing guidance and encouragement. I believe I am hooked and that training has to be intensified to get my numbers down. I want some podium finishes in my future. Yesterday that would have required me shaving off 31 minutes off my time in the 45-49 age group for 1st place or 25 minutes for 2nd place.

Thank you for taking the time to read through my post and I hope it inspires someone to get up off the couch, get out and start enjoying a life of fitness.

Jay

First 5K 5/21/2011 00:48:24

First 13 mile run 02:31:39 10/30/2011

5K Race PR 24:38 5/2013
First TRIATHLON 1:48:37 5/7/2012
Augusta Ironman 70.3 6:54:67
Half Marathon PR 1:55:39 6/8/2013 Bootlegger Half Marathon

LJ1972
on 5/9/12 6:28 am - FL
Awesome! I loved reading this.... looking at a Sprint Tri in October out on the beach. My trainer said she has no doubt I can get the training in by then... I don't have as much faith in myself
Jillian O.
on 5/9/12 9:52 pm - Fort Riley, KS
Great first race! Congrats! I've enjoyed watching your journey

Jillian
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran, Army Wife, 3x Ironman Finisher

Sue M.
on 5/10/12 2:27 am - Nantucket, MA
 Thrilled for you!  It's always good to be one of the people off the couch!
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
mcarthur01
on 5/12/12 6:15 am - Cumming, GA
nice work Jay... hopefully we'll get to race together this summer.  think about peachtree city tri in mid to late august, it's one of the best local sprints around (and one of the flatest in north ga).
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

jwc10s
on 5/12/12 12:40 pm
I'll take a look at it. Late summer is filling up quick. Doing a century ride with my sin. Will be his first event ever.

Jay

First 5K 5/21/2011 00:48:24

First 13 mile run 02:31:39 10/30/2011

5K Race PR 24:38 5/2013
First TRIATHLON 1:48:37 5/7/2012
Augusta Ironman 70.3 6:54:67
Half Marathon PR 1:55:39 6/8/2013 Bootlegger Half Marathon

Most Active