2nd race report :)

acbbrown
on 5/6/12 1:22 pm, edited 5/6/12 1:25 pm - Granada Hills, CA
See the post below for a much better story and picture, but I thought I'd just post about the 10K. 

I did this event last year about one month prior to my surgery - I think i was ~350lbs or so, and did the 5K in about 50 minutes. I ordered a 2x shirt that didnt fit, and after I finished, I collapsed in the grass.  (this year, I got a large shirt that fit great - this might be the best part of my day hahah). 

Fast forward one year, and this time, I signed up for the 10K. I had no plans whatsoever on running 10****il I crossed the finish line today. My longest consecutive run prior to today was a 5K, but ive run/walked about 4.5 miles. Ive been doing a lot of hiking in the 6-9 mi range, but Ive never actually come close to running 6.2 miles. 

But, I had a GREAT pacing partner for the first 2 miles (and bless his heart, he left out the part about me running right into a low branch****il somehow I left him behind (by seconds). I felt really really good for the first 3 miles - I was just cruising along at a very consistent pace (which is a novel idea for me, i'm usually speeding up/slowing down, repeat)  even though I wasnt looking at my gps at all - i wasnt worried about time during this run. I looked at the 5k mark and saw my 5k split was 37:03 (a whole 1.5 min faster than my best time) and I still felt really strong. I was a little irritated that there was only one aid station at miles 2/4 serving 2oz cups of water and it was a little warm, but my nephew ran and got me a bottle which was nice. I decided that  I was just going to run as far as I could and then walk. Somehow that ended up being another 3 miles or so. I had some hip pain around mile 5, but I did a systems check, realized I was fine and kept going. My legs and breathing were great, so I just finished it all in 1:16:22 (according to my phone). I was STUNNED at my time. It was pretty good for me, considering I didnt evenexpect to maintain that pace for the 5k, let alone the 10k. 

I absolutely loved having geat company for this run, and I feel absolutely amazing. I was really happy with the progress Ive made over the last year considering runnning has not been a priority of mine. Ive been flip flopping between triathlons, cycling and running. I am planning a half in October, so at least I know I have a decent base to start with. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

ruggie
on 5/6/12 1:51 pm - Sacramento, CA
I must admi****ching you get smacked by that branch was mildly amusing! 

We should do this more often.

You should be proud of yourself - you've made tremendous improvements in just a year's time!!!

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

acbbrown
on 5/6/12 2:20 pm, edited 5/6/12 2:21 pm - Granada Hills, CA
Hahaha, the branch thing was kind of funny. I was totally zoned out, just thinking about how great it was going...and i never saw it coming. I guess I need to loook up more often when I'm running. I was hoping for all of 2 seconds that you didn't see, but then I think you laughed at me! 

Well, you know.....if you want tooooo............i'm going to train and do a 1/2 marathon in october, sooooo....you should totally join me in training and running that. 

But when I'm in Sac, we can run together. I like the trails/paths at Discovery Park (other than the bums that scare me - it's flat and shaded haha). Just don't go all getting too fast on me. 

~~~~Alison~~~~~

ruggie
on 5/7/12 7:37 am - Sacramento, CA
Well I was toying with the idea of trying 10K at the Run to Feed the Hungry - but it's at Thanksgiving.  I figured that would give me time to have my plastic surgery, heal for a couple months, lose my traction, work my way back up to 5K and then train for 10K in time for that race.   You gonna be in Sac or LA for that holiday?

Actually.....

Actually actually actually.....

Maybe we could have an OH team for donations - and get at least you, me, and eFernandez... maybe MelTrace too (you met her at the Natomas lake walk).  Wouldn't that be cool???

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

acbbrown
on 5/7/12 7:53 am - Granada Hills, CA
 I'll be where ever the run is :)

~~~~Alison~~~~~

KatCooper
on 5/7/12 2:47 am - Collierville, TN
 That time is awesome!!!  You are such an inspiration to me!!  My first 10k is in 2 weeks and I am so ready!  My time wont be as fantastic as yours but it will be on my mind!!!!   Wont be long before the 1/2!!!!!

Kat

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

InkdSpEdTchr
on 5/7/12 3:53 am
Doesn't sound like it was a very well supported run, but sounds like you made the best of it, and did awesome! Running a 10K, wow Alison- you just rock woman!

Can't wait to hear about the half!

:Danni  >>>AIDS/LifeCycle 10 & 11 Finisher: 545miles on the bike in 7 days <<<
HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

Paul C.
on 5/7/12 7:58 am - Cumming, GA
 You did an awesome job!

The changes you have mae to your life and the person you have become is one that will inspire many people.  
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Jillian O.
on 5/7/12 10:09 am - Fort Riley, KS
Great race out there! You showed a lot of heart! I have enjoyed following your jouney and it only gets better from here!

Jillian
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran, Army Wife, 3x Ironman Finisher

mcarthur01
on 5/7/12 7:14 pm - Cumming, GA
awesome!  congrats on a great race.  personally, my favorite races/results are when i am totally surprised (positively) by a performance that i didn't think i had in me.  keep it up, i expect to see a lot more race reports!
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Most Active