Scared of the challenge

ruggie
on 5/5/12 1:09 pm - Sacramento, CA
So I completed my Couch-to-5K program.

And my first 5K race is tomorrow morning.

I have a T-shirt and a number with some inbedded microchip to track my time.

I feel nervous - like a job interview!  I have to "pass" the race.  Silly, I know - a year ago I wouldn't have even of thought of walking a 5K, much less running.  Still.... gotta "pass" the race....

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

isabellarossellini
on 5/5/12 1:25 pm
 you'll do great.  i got really emotional with my first 5k there were thousands of people there.  i had never been apart of anything like it (as a kid i always hung out with the kids with asmatha versus participating in any sports, ha).  i had a hard time with my first one because i had trained on a treadmill, and wasnt prepared for the hills and such, but i made it through a bit out of breathe, and all red faced.  the next time i had no problem, and that same year i did a 10k which i really would have never believed.  i believe you have been training on the street so that will help and you've been keeping a faster pace then me ( i tend to do the zombie shuffle) you'll gonna kill it!  have a blast, enjoy the free oranges,  and smoke those walkers! 
acbbrown
on 5/5/12 1:27 pm - Granada Hills, CA
 Okay - I signed up for the 10K thinking I couldn't really care less about the time - i just wanted to do it. And now I'm getting nervous. I know I can run 3 miles, 4 maybe, but 6 is out of the question but I feel like I have to try. 

If it makes you feel better, you'll be passing me. Of course, if you are still on a runner's high when you finish, you can join me for the 2nd loop for a brisk walk!

I had no idea the the chips were in the bib things - the lady at the table said something about a timing chip, and I was thinking, where am I going to get one of those??  Thanks for enlightening me!

See you tomorrow - and you're going to do great!

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

ruggie
on 5/5/12 1:34 pm - Sacramento, CA
Ha!  I bet with your will, you can run 1000 miles - you are one determined person!!!   You are awesome to commit to the 10K. 

Ha, after the 5K I know my legs will be burning - and I'll need liquid!  

I was also confused about the chip thing, but I guess it's embedded  in the white strip on the back of our bibs.  The future is now.

Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow!

LJ1972
on 5/5/12 1:34 pm - FL
Remember - like someone here has in their signature - the first time is your personal record!! You'll be great, don't let the nerves ruin a good time!
ruggie
on 5/5/12 1:36 pm - Sacramento, CA
LOL - I guess it will be my record - thanks for the positive outlook ;)

Paul C.
on 5/5/12 6:31 pm - Cumming, GA
For your first 5k you have 3 main goals if you complete any of them you have a victory, complete all 3 and you are a rockstar.

1 show up to the race
2 cross the start line
3 cross the finish line

These are the 3 hardest things to do for your first race but they are also the 3 easiest to have done after toy have finished and you look back on what you have accomplished.

You have put in the time and logged your miles training so you can do it. Believe in yourself and your abilities the way others do.

The main key for finishing....

HAVE FUN!
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
ruggie
on 5/6/12 8:56 am - Sacramento, CA
 Hey Paul -

Excellent philosophy - thanks for the reminder!  Really appreciate your encouragement.

ruggie
on 5/6/12 8:56 am - Sacramento, CA

Most Active