Anyone a carb monster after running?

tripmom02
on 5/1/12 9:25 am - NJ
 The day after one of my long runs I am a complete carb monster, it's all I want. Is there any way to curb this b/c it's killing me, it sets me off into a cycle that is mean and hard to break and then I get all sorry for myself, kick the carbs to the curb and then I run again and it starts all over. 

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

KatCooper
on 5/1/12 11:32 am - Collierville, TN
Completely OT, but I LOVE your Avatar!!!!

And I have been lucky so far, I havent craved carbs in a massive way after a run.  BUT, my longest run is only 6miles.   :-)

Kat

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

tripmom02
on 5/2/12 6:51 am - NJ
 Thanks! That avatar really hit home for me b/c it was the way my family ALWAYS rewarded me, or made me feel better if I was sad. I swore I would never do that with my kids, and now I need to just keep reminding myself that a pedicure is a better way to reward myself for a job well done then a cookie! 

ONLY 6 miles, I am lucky if I hit four without wanting to die LOL That is awesome! 

Paul C.
on 5/1/12 11:23 pm - Cumming, GA
 Depends on a number of things.  Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't after really intense sessions I will crave more carbs.  Long multi-hour stuff I typically crave protein more than carbs.

If you are running a glycogen deficit it could be your body telling you that it needs fuel.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
tripmom02
on 5/2/12 6:54 am - NJ
Yeah, I get TONS of protein so I don't think I ever give my body a chance to even crave that LOL Carbs I typically keep pretty low, so maybe I should up them in a controlled way BEFORE I exercise so that I don't find myself in a bad place when I am done. 

Thanks for the input! 

Ms. Poker Face
on 5/2/12 2:25 am
I'm just hungry in general after a long run. I try to ignore it so it doesnt' lead to grazing. Frustrating, though!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

tripmom02
on 5/2/12 6:55 am - NJ
most of the time I just want to puke when I am done running, but the day after I am a crazy person. 

mcarthur01
on 5/2/12 6:47 am - Cumming, GA
yes, this happens to me as well.  you have to balance refueling your body (which is important) with just the desire to vacuum down 17 granola bars.  it's tough and some days i win, some days i lose.  but i try to keep it together and not get worked up over it too much.  the worst thing i (or anybody) could do would go back to rationalizing over-eating.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

tripmom02
on 5/2/12 6:57 am - NJ
 Exactly, that is why I would love to find a way to curb it, I don't need any help finding reasons to eat LOL

mysparky
on 6/11/12 1:22 am - West Hartford, CT
One thing you might try is a glass of chocolate milk (skim) after your run.  Many studies show that chocolate milk provides the right combination of protein and carbs that allow for quicker recovery. The studies were related to endurance workouts (long runs, bike rides, etc), but because your carbs are so low, it may be beneficial to you as well.   

I regularly drink a large glass of chocolate milk within 30 mins of a long bike ride.  I'm not normally a milk drinker, but my body definitely welcomes it and it does seem to aid in my recovery. 

You may want to check it out once or twice and see if it helps control the monster.

Most Active