Southern heat and running

KatCooper
on 4/30/12 4:03 am - Collierville, TN
 I need some advice from those of you who are running in warm humid weather.  I am working nights 4p-4a shift, and I usually get up at 11am or so and run.   Today it was 84 with a heat index of 87 and a significant increase in humidity.  The hill I normally finish my run on gets my HR up to about 159-160 today it bumped to 180.  I walked about a minute until it got back down into my zone,then picked it back up again.  I am very well hydrated and I think it was just the heat.  So, my question is, how do I beat the heat?  It's only going to get worse.  I guess I can go to the gym when I get off work, but I seriously hate the treadmill, but it is not safe to go running in my neighborhood at 4am.  I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Kat

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

Paul C.
on 4/30/12 5:28 am - Cumming, GA
 you may need to bump the intensity down until your body adapts to it.  Hydration is going to be crucial while running in the heat  You need to have it dialed in Before you Start, while you Run and then while you recover.

Make sure you are wearing moisture wicking clothes and not cotton and a hat or visor.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
mcarthur01
on 4/30/12 11:24 am - Cumming, GA
humidity is a killer, even more than straight heat.  it will definitely increase your HR, so what Paul said is right, dial it bac****il your HR is under control.  over time your body will acclimate to the heat (to a certain extent), but cooler weather will increase performance.  heat and especially humidity REALLY effect me.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

KatCooper
on 5/1/12 3:23 am - Collierville, TN
 Thanks, guys.  I grew up in the heat in Memphis and Atlanta, but have been in North Dakota for the past 2 years.   I had forgotten how bad the humidity can be!!!  

Kat

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

Kim S.
on 5/2/12 12:07 am - Helena, AL
Girl!  I know running and heat!  I run all year round, even when it is over 100 degrees out.  Here's my suggestions:

1) run early in the morning if you can (weekends I run at 7 a.m., weekdays after work around 5), bonus if there are sprinklers along the route or a threatening rain storm!
2) if you run during the day, find a shady place to do it
3) water before, during and after..........lots of it-also, a small mister bottle with ice and water in it will really cool you off (I carry one in my running belt)
4) I do better on an empty stomach in the heat
5) wear as little as possible-I wear a bras style running top and running skirt-and unlike Paul, I prefer not to wear a hat (makes me hotter).........I wear those jersey headbands to keep the sweat out of my eyes
6) most important-dial it back when you need to-you will have to adjust your running all summer based on the heat/humidity levels-I have 4 tunnels on my running path...when it is really hot, I'll pause in the tunnel and lean my sweaty body against the cool cement walls of the tunnel to cool off a bit

KatCooper
on 5/2/12 10:36 am - Collierville, TN
 Thanks Kim.  I bought a running belt with 2 10oz water bottle, because I was just SURE I wouldnt need one with 4.  Now I wish I had gotten one with more bottles!!  I like the idea of the mister bottle.Thanks!

Kat

JsSkinnyMom
on 5/3/12 10:44 am - Youngsville, LA
I hear ya Kat! I'm in south Louisiana and it's hot already. In attempt to beat the heat I run pre-dawn during the week and around 6 am on weekends. I'm such a wuss when it comes to running in the heat of the day. A couple of the races I've run were at 9am and not shaded at all. Nearly killed me! Good luck!
 J's Skinny Mom  

HW 238 / SW 235 / CW 120  
Most Active