Ride Report

InkdSpEdTchr
on 4/26/12 1:47 am, edited 4/26/12 1:52 am
Since I don't do races, figured I'd post a ride report of my first Century ride of the year. www.strava.com/runs/7144822

So, I have been born, raised and spent the majority of my life in the Bay Area of Cali, and the temps are generally mild (60's-70's) so when this past Saturday got up into the 100's...I was dying!

I think working out in a hot spin room a couple times a week really helped me keep going, as a few folks who started the ride, didn't finish as they got overheated.

I drank a TON of water and electrolytes and forced myself to eat something every hour to keep my energy up. Thankfully, there was a scheduled Starbucks stop every 20miles as this was a mostly self-supported ride. However, we did have 2 SAG vehicles who had water, snacks, and most importantly ice!

At one point I took a huge chunk of ice and put in down my jersey, by the time I rode 5miles- it was gone!

There's a link to the route, it was mostly flat, but there was a bit of climbing thrown in to keep it from being dull. I was helping lead the ride, so I had to sweep the first 20miles which meant I had to be behind the slowest rider. That was a bit of a challenge for me, but it was a good thing as it forced me to take the time to really warm up.

Overall, it was a fun ride and I got to see a 10ft rattlesnake (roadkill) and no one crashed or was injured- that's always a huge plus!!! Then the next day I did another 64miles up in Norther California and I was pretty tired, but it was so BEAUTIFUL I had a great time.

Sunday is the Chico Wildflower century, and I'm signed up for the 125mile route, we'll see how I do, as the day before I'm doing a half century with 6000ft of climbing!

Thanks for reading!

Pre-Ride Grin:
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

:Danni  >>>AIDS/LifeCycle 10 & 11 Finisher: 545miles on the bike in 7 days <<<
HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

KatCooper
on 4/26/12 6:03 am - Collierville, TN
 100 miles....wow, I cant even wrap my brain around that number!!!  AND in the heat!!  I think that is simply amazing!!!   You look fantastic by the way!  I hope some day I can a)look that great and healthy b) ride even 50 miles,even though that number looks impossible too!!!  Congrats on a job well done!!

Kat

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

InkdSpEdTchr
on 4/26/12 6:47 am
Oh, Kat you are too kind. One of the best lessons this surgery has taught me, is that we can do ANYTHING!!!

HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

mcarthur01
on 4/26/12 10:56 am - Cumming, GA
you are really kicking ass and racking up some serious miles on the bike!  awesome.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

InkdSpEdTchr
on 4/26/12 11:36 am
Thanks!  It's been really fun helping others get jazzed about cycing too!

HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

Jillian O.
on 4/26/12 11:32 am - Fort Riley, KS
Great ride report! Great you have been able to get back in the saddle after your crash

I would love a ride where there was a Starbucks every 20 miles! That would motivate me to get to the next one!

I spent all last summer training in 100+ degree heat, it does wear on you, kudos for staying hydrated

Jillian
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran, Army Wife, 3x Ironman Finisher

InkdSpEdTchr
on 4/26/12 11:37 am
LOL, yeah the guy who created the route loves Starbucks and so there is always a ton on the route! I don't know how you could train in 100+heat, but you are an Ironman bad@ss, so I guess I'm not that surprised!

HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

Seht
on 4/27/12 1:53 am
Sounds like a good ride.
Way to stick it out on a hot day.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

InkdSpEdTchr
on 4/27/12 2:58 am
Thanks Scott, it turned out to be quite fun!

HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

AngieB2011
on 4/27/12 2:53 am - MD
VSG on 03/19/12
Wow!! I would love to do something like that some day.
Most Active