Wondering if I can do it

LJ1972
on 4/22/12 7:44 am - FL
 Despite my success so far with weight loss and working out, I still don't have a lot of confidence in my dedication or ability.  I really want to do a sprint tri -  but my negative nancy voices just keep saying no point in trying, I can never do that!

Today I found where our sprint tri on the beach is now accepting registration.  They do 1/3 mile swim, 18 mile bike, 5k run
http://www.santarosaislandtriathlon.com/

I figured up how many laps in the pool I would need to do, but from growing up here I know that is NOTHING compared to swimming in the Gulf, even on a quiet day.  I can barely jog a mile. Biking is better, but I don't own a "real" tri bike.

Any tips on quieting the negatives and just doing it?  This always fills up (except the year after Hurricane Ivan) ........ so I can't wait and find out how I do.  I workout with my trainer tomorrow so I will get her opinion as well.

COURAGE TO START, STRENGTH TO ENDURE, RESOLVE TO FINISH 
                              HW 353 SW 317 Original GW 180  Current Wt  170 
                               First 5k 59:18; 5k PR 32:06;  1st 10k 1:20:27; PR 1:08:36
                                                    1st Half Marathon 2:48

Pensacola Double Bridge Run 15k- 1:47:34
                                                  Three Sprint Triathlons

superconducting
on 4/22/12 11:23 am - Montgomery, NY
 first step is sign up and pay the money.. then you can tell the negative nancies to get away ;)

You don't need a tri bike, you'll see lots of different bikes I am sure.  You can do this, you have a lot of time to work up to those distances and get some open water swimming in.  It will be a blast!! 

If it makes you feel better, I had never swam a lap in my life and had, at most, bike 10 miles or so when I signed up to do a half Ironman .. I signed up in November 2010, and my first triathloon ever was the orlando half ironman in MAY of 2011, 6 months later!  So you CAN do this!   :)

LJ1972
on 4/23/12 5:45 am - FL
That is amazing!!
     My trainer agreed that I need to sign up and pay, said it would certainly help me stay committed to training.  I live on the beach (less than 30mins) so I have no excuse for not going out swimming there.  I'm starting to get really excited and nervous, but I think I am going to do it
mcarthur01
on 4/22/12 10:47 pm - Cumming, GA
as you know... this isn't really the place to go if you want somebody to talk you out of a challenge :)

i say go for it.  signing up is a great motivator, it helps to focus you when you realize "oh crap, i have to do this thing now!".  you can work up to all three disciplines, even if you have to take it easy.  best of luck, lots of good tri resources here.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

LJ1972
on 4/23/12 5:43 am - FL
HA yeah, I think that is kind of a reason I put it here.... needing the challenge from people I respect.  
  I have been to a few sites on my first tri, beginning tri, etc.  My fitness trainer has done sprint tri's (in fact she speaks very highly of the one I am looking at it) and she thinks this is a great place for me to start. 
  There is actually a beginner tri training group here that starts in June, and they train for transitions, group swims, review the USAT rules, etc.  You have to be running 5 miles a week and able to swim 200yrd without stopping.  I jog a mile or 2 a week (spin and elliptical more) and can swim about 175yrd without stopping.  I have 6mths.  I think I am going to do it.

Yikes

COURAGE TO START, STRENGTH TO ENDURE, RESOLVE TO FINISH 
                              HW 353 SW 317 Original GW 180  Current Wt  170 
                               First 5k 59:18; 5k PR 32:06;  1st 10k 1:20:27; PR 1:08:36
                                                    1st Half Marathon 2:48

Pensacola Double Bridge Run 15k- 1:47:34
                                                  Three Sprint Triathlons

MacMadame
on 4/23/12 3:22 pm - Northern, CA
I've done two Ironmen and I don't own a tri bike.  Heck, when I signed up for my first Sprint Tri, I didn't even own a bike!

Just do it!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

LJ1972
on 4/24/12 10:00 am - FL
 I have a bike... not even sure about what kind it is (ie road or hybrid, etc) but it has gears and my trainer said it should do for now. I do have to have it checked as I think one of the gears has a stripped tooth.
MacMadame
on 4/24/12 12:31 pm - Northern, CA
Definitely you'll be fine. You see every kind of bike at a Sprint Tri!

Which one are you going to sign up for?

LJ1972
on 4/25/12 1:19 pm - FL
This is the goal Sprint Tri
http://www.santarosaislandtriathlon.com/

There is also a group that sponsors "Super sprints" through the summer, so maybe I will get a chance to try it before October.
http://www.teammpi.com/events/event/portofino-sunset-tri-ser ies

I also found this but I have to contact them. I can't tell if you just have to be a member (40bucks) or if you have to pay the fee (250) even if you are a member.  I'll stick with just my personal trainer for that price (She has done Sprint Tris)
http://trigulfcoast.org/group-training/
MacMadame
on 4/26/12 3:32 pm - Northern, CA
Oh, Super Sprints are fun!

Most Active