Too much exercise?

UtopianDream
on 4/12/12 2:28 pm, edited 4/12/12 2:33 pm - St. Ignace, MI
RNY on 01/03/12
I am a bit over 3 months post-op for Roux En Y and 76 lbs lighter.  But lately I have been having a problem I never thought I would face...

I am VERY active - as active as I was when I was a fit teenager, which feels great for the most part.  Problem is that I am buring more calories than I am taking in daily. 

I really don't want to exercise less or eat more. 

Besides the occassional blister, I feel I can keep going all day with power walking (I am up to 2 miles in an hour), hiking, walking my dogs 6 times a day, and climbing stairs at least 2 dozen times. And I go to the gym 3 times a week to tone up the lose skin areas - I have a trainer to help.  I do not have any physical ailments that would slow me down so it is frustrating that I may need to slow down.

EDIT: forgot to add what happens when I do too much.  After about 2 or 3 days of activity I am wiped out for a day; not sleeping but dizzy and nauseated, sometimes having trouble focusing and balancing to the point I need to lie down.  Thus doc said I may be doing too much.

Does anyone else have this problem?
Any advice how to balance this better?

MacMadame
on 4/12/12 4:45 pm - Northern, CA
Well people train 20 hours a week getting ready for Ironmans and 50 mile runs and 200 mile bike rides so what exactly is "too much?"

Personally, I'd just eat more. Eat more meals a day. Drink more protein shakes (to get in good calories). Eat regular food instead of diet food. Eat nuts or peanut butter. It's easy to eat 2000 calories a day with WLS if you plan it out.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

loverofcats
on 4/12/12 11:29 pm, edited 4/12/12 11:31 pm
All those symptoms are signs of over exercise. Are you well hydrated? Trouble focusing and dizziness can also be signs of hypoglycemia and lack of fluids/electrolytes. Fuel your body, before and after your workouts. I have had the tiredness factor, when I have exercised excessively (for me) during a week. You need to allow 1-2 days/week of rest or a lighter activity day. Your body needs to heal in between workouts. Talk to your trainer about how to achieve a better balance.

Listen to your body. You may need to gradually work your way up to higher activity level. Too much, too soon, can cause the symptoms that you mention.

Gail
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

cabin111
on 4/13/12 12:51 am
It's good to know the signs of dehydration.  Dehydration is the # 1 reason post WLS people reenter the hospital...Lets be careful out there.  Also add a small amount of banana or cooked spinach (with salt) to your diet for potassium...
Also things high in potassium, broccoli, kidney and lima beans (Wendy's Chili), oranges...

Symptoms of Dehydration in Adults

The signs and symptoms of dehydration range from minor to severe.

• Increased thirst

• Dry mouth and swollen tongue

• Weakness

• Dizziness

• Palpitations (feeling that the heart is jumping or pounding)

• Confusion

• Sluggishness, even fainting

• Inability to sweat

• Decreased urine output: Urine color may indicate dehydration. If urine is concentrated and deeply yellow or amber, you may be dehydrated.
UtopianDream
on 4/13/12 1:00 am - St. Ignace, MI
RNY on 01/03/12
Oh I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the info - especially the foods list.  I will add that to my diet and see what happens.  I think somedays I don't get enough water so that may be it.

rjsams
on 4/13/12 1:00 am - Eagan, MN
I agree with all the suggestions.  I have had the dizziness, etc. and I have recognized that it is from dehydration.  Drink, drink, drink with all that exercise you are doing.  Otherwise you don't have enough blood volume and your blood pressure drops. 

The exercise is great, tho, good for you!  I think exercise is what has helped me be successful.

Most Active